Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Clinton Morse

Default FireWire Solo

verymeta wrote:
> I'm replying to my own post:
>
> It works!!
>
> And wow, the sound quality with the Firewire Solo is so much better than
> when I was using an onboard soundcard!!
>
> -Katie

Slightly off topic. I've been looking at the simple Firewire and USB
audio interfaces but am curious if anyone knows of any that, instead of
being a half-rack space sized standalone unit, are a 5.25" drive bay
sized unit that could be interfaced directly from motherboard headers.
I'm looking primarily at getting a 1/4" headphone out (with control) on
the front of the PC as well as a mic input and a guitar input. I've
done a bit of searching online and it doesn't seem like that sort of
unit is out there. Is there an obvious reason why that I'm not seeing?
I've even considered gutting one of these units and mounting the circuit
board and jacks/pots into a drive bay.

Thanks for any insight... Clint...

Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
thomas fisher

On Sunday 03 February 2008 06:11:44 Clinton Morse wrote:
> verymeta wrote:
> > I'm replying to my own post:
> >
> > It works!!
> >
> > And wow, the sound quality with the Firewire Solo is so much better than
> > when I was using an onboard soundcard!!
> >
> > -Katie
>
> Slightly off topic. I've been looking at the simple Firewire and USB
> audio interfaces but am curious if anyone knows of any that, instead of
> being a half-rack space sized standalone unit, are a 5.25" drive bay
> sized unit that could be interfaced directly from motherboard headers.
> I'm looking primarily at getting a 1/4" headphone out (with control) on
> the front of the PC as well as a mic input and a guitar input. I've
> done a bit of searching online and it doesn't seem like that sort of
> unit is out there. Is there an obvious reason why that I'm not seeing?
> I've even considered gutting one of these units and mounting the circuit
> board and jacks/pots into a drive bay.
>
> Thanks for any insight... Clint...

I believe part of the problem is the electronic noise inside the case. Most
of the breakout box s are appealing to the higher fidelity users. ZZound and
Sweetwater have a large selection with knowledgeable and helpful personnel.

Hope that helps
Tom