Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
"Pascal Cretain"

Default Audio-Visual Installation Question

Hi List,

I'm setting up an istallation that consists*of:*

1) Visual: A 30 minute Video File on playback
2) Audio: Live manipulation of sound*samples with Audacity/Ardour to accompany the Video.

I own one laptop (Ubuntu w/ VIA/S3G Graphics Card) and one Toshiba TDP-S8UK projector. The question is:
How do I project the*video*while*doing my real-time Sound improvisation*using*only*the*two*pieces*of*Hardwar e*that*I*own?*

I have come up with a few ideas, most of which require extra hardware (e.g a cheap DVD player to connect to the projector while I dedicate my laptop to**Audacity).*I've*also*been*thinking*whether*it* would*be*possible*to*'split'*the*screen*in*half*so mehow*- left part of the screen being sent*to*the*projector*whereas*I*use*the*right*part *of*the*screen*for*Audacity/Ardour.*

I appreciate that this list is not ideal for this type of question but it's the most relevant I am aware of!

Many thanks
Pascal Cretain

Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
""

If you can get your xorg.conf configured to a 'dual-head' setup where the 2nd
screen is on the external vga connector of your laptop - going to the
projector, then you should be able to achieve this.

The video player could sit on screen2 whilst audacity would sit on screen1 as
well as the control to the video playback (if separable).

Depending on the driver, this should be possible.

google the make and model of your video card and keywords like : dual-head
ubuntu etc

You will have to dig around a bit, as I looked just now and didn't find any
success stories for that model.

You could try the ubuntu 'screens and graphics' menu option to see if it can see
the second display already, but I doubt it based on recent experiences.

Eventually, you will just need to configure /etc/X11/xorg.conf (make a backup
copy of it before you do anything to xorg.working so you can restore your
working display from the command line with 'sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.working
/etc/X11/xorg.conf' should you loose crash your xserver) to include 2 screen
sections plus a layout section that looks something like :

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "DualHead"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

The example is pretty rough, but might point you in the right direction.