-   -   Fast Track Pro sample rate problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/388644-fast-track-pro-sample-rate-problem.html)

Rick Bragg 06-21-2010 12:05 AM

Fast Track Pro sample rate problem

Hi,

I am looking at the documentation for my M-Audio Fasttrack Pro and it
can do up to 96k 24bit recording, however, I am trying to fire it up
with qjackctl and it I can't get it to do anything other than 16 bit
little endian 44100 sample rate. I get an error in the messages that
says the playback and capture sample rates do not match.

I am using the latest Ubuntu 10.04LTS with
Following are my "messages"
Does anybody know how I can get the most out of this device?

Thanks
Rick

jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably alter the line:
@audio - memlock unlimited
in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
@audio - memlock 1545501
19:51:43.840 JACK was started with PID=1808.
no message buffer overruns
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:1,0|hw:1,1|128|4|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:1
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 128 frames (2.7 ms), buffer = 4 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for playback
playback and capture sample rates do not match (44100 vs. 48000)
19:51:44.837 ALSA connection graph change.
19:51:45.920 Server configuration saved to "/home/rbragg/.jackdrc".
19:51:45.925 Statistics reset.
19:51:45.931 Client activated.
19:51:45.938 JACK connection change.
19:51:45.970 JACK connection graph change.
19:57:48.352 XRUN callback (1).
delay of 7812.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 2826.000; restart ...
delay of 7812.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 2826.000; restart ...
delay of 7812.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 2826.000; restart ...
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.202 msecs
delay of 8132.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 2826.000; restart ...
delay of 8132.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 2826.000; restart ...
delay of 8132.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 2826.000; restart ...
19:57:48.886 XRUN callback (6 skipped).

Brian David 06-21-2010 01:31 PM

Fast Track Pro sample rate problem

I am looking at the documentation for my M-Audio Fasttrack Pro and it

can do up to 96k 24bit recording, however, I am trying to fire it up

with qjackctl and it I can't get it to do anything other than 16 bit

little endian 44100 sample rate. *I get an error in the messages that

says the playback and capture sample rates do not match.

I am using the latest Ubuntu 10.04LTS with

Following are my "messages"

Does anybody know how I can get the most out of this device?

Thanks

Rick

*Not sure why your playback rates and capture rates are different, and I'm also not sure why it settles at 16bit.* I've never used a USB interface with JACK before.* However,* I can maybe give you some info on other issues that might help.

First, even though your interface (and many others) can do 96khz, you probably should not use that high a rate.* The theoretical improvements in quality do not outweigh the negatives.* It's a long topic, so I won't get into it here, except to say that there's plenty of material to read on the Internet about it (such as this informative thread at the Ardour forums: http://ardour.org/node/3341).* This is probably one of the reasons* you are getting so many X-runs.* I would suggest just using 44.1 khz.

Other than that, it would be nice to know more details about your set-up.* In particular:

-What kernel are you using?* If you're using an RT kernel, make sure that a) you have JACK set to use realtime, and b) you have some sort of script installed that sets realtime thread priorities (such as the rtirq-init script in the repositories).* If you're using Ubuntu Studio, you should already have this script installed.

-If you've got Network Manager installed (which you probably do), make sure to disable networking prior to starting JACK.* You can do this via the context menu by right-clicking on the notification applet.* Network Manager has been known to cause issues with the sound server.

Those are the easy things to try out.* Hopefully they improve your situation.
--
-Brian David

Andrew Euell 06-21-2010 02:18 PM

Fast Track Pro sample rate problem

The FastTrack Pro is a interesting device. I have had lots of problems
with it but have been able to get it to work.
The 96khz 24 bit mode is only available when using a single output or
input. (Kind of a shitty situation)

--
Andrew Euell
andyzweb [at] gmail [dot] com