-   -   Ubuntu Studio artwork proposal (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/385800-ubuntu-studio-artwork-proposal.html)

"C. F. Howlett" 06-14-2010 08:51 PM

Ubuntu Studio artwork proposal

Greetings Ubuntu Studio Users:

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed or implemented before. I'm
still learning my way around the various communities and projects and
might well have missed relevant efforts. But if I have the privilege of
actually proposing a viable innovation...

As I look around the coffee shop to see who else is availing themselves
of the free and fast wifi connection, one thing becomes obvious; most of
these folks are Mac users.

I live in a town which is effectively a suburb of a major city. Most of
my fellow wifi explorers are high school or college students or the
occasional business person.

I trust it's not too heretical to state my opinion that Apple designs
excellent hardware and software. However, the thought of locking myself
into Apple's vertical matrix is even more objectionable than the cost
of acquiring a "premium" computer. So, I have become an avid student
and user of Ubuntu Studio.

One has to appreciate the rabid adoration of the Mac crowd as well as
admire the integration of all things Mac into a fairly cohesive and
persistent marketing effort. For example, scroll to the bottom of this
web site;
http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/faculty/hodgson/Courses/so191/Projects2007/Stott/Site/Welcome.html

"Made on a Mac"
http://innovationfeeder.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/made-on-a-mac.jpg

Simple, elegant, effective and memorable. Apple officially licensed
this art for some time;
http://www.theapplecollection.com/various/MacMade/AppleWebBadgesMadeOn.html
and dictated a standard usage policy;
http://www.apple.com/about/webbadges/index.html. Naturally, Apple users
also crafted their own vision of this art;
http://allaboutiweb.com/index.php/2008/08/free-custom-badges/. Apple no
doubt condones if not outright supports such innovation resulting in
some enviable endorsements; http://the-tech.mit.edu/Projects/Macmade/.

So, my point; shouldn't we have a similar, and no doubt superior, item
for our favorite distro? Personally, I've elected to include something
along these lines in whenever I can;
http://spreadubuntu.neomenlo.org/files/Tabbed%
20Tearsheet.sla-page1_0.jpeg and
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7001421/Washington%20Ubuntu/Ubuntu%20Card.pdf,
but I would really like to see as an OFFICIAL "Made in Ubuntu" type
piece for marking our creations. It could be effectively deployed in
print and electronic mediums. I believe that this item would help
promote the Ubuntu Studio distribution and, as an added benefit, knock a
bit of SMUG out of the Mac crowd. Just sayin...

Ubuntu Studio developers and users; What say ye?

06-15-2010 04:24 PM

On Jun 14, 2010 3:51pm, "C. F. Howlett" <seattlechaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings Ubuntu Studio Users:
>

> Forgive me if this issue has been addressed or implemented before. *I'm
>
> still learning my way around the various communities and projects and
>
> might well have missed relevant efforts. *But if I have the privilege of
>
> actually proposing a viable innovation...
>

>*SNIP*
>

> So, my point; shouldn't we have a similar, and no doubt superior, item
>
> for our favorite distro? *Personally, I've elected to include something
>
> along these lines in whenever I can;
>
> http://spreadubuntu.neomenlo.org/files/Tabbed%
>
> 20Tearsheet.sla-page1_0.jpeg and
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7001421/Washington%20Ubuntu/Ubuntu%20Card.pdf,
>
> but I would really like to see as an OFFICIAL "Made in Ubuntu" type
>
> piece for marking our creations. *It could be effectively deployed in
>
> print and electronic mediums. *I believe that this item would help
>
> promote the Ubuntu Studio distribution and, as an added benefit, knock a
>
> bit of SMUG out of the Mac crowd. *Just sayin...
>

> Ubuntu Studio developers and users; What say ye?

This is a great idea, and I think work has been done towards this end already. Check out this page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Official

So there are official Ubuntu design guidelines, and readily accessible files. All it would take is to simply add some sort of "Made with. . ." text.

By the way, I was unable to follow any of the links you provided, so was unable to see the images. Also, I've replied only on the Users e-mail list, so that this discussion doesn't get too unwieldy.--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Erik Rasmussen 06-15-2010 05:43 PM

Ubuntu Studio artwork proposal

I like the idea and agree that it could help show others what can be done with Ubuntu Studio. *It would be nice if several different "Made on Ubuntu Studio" logo styles were available to suit the usage-scenario. *If they were readily available, professional-looking, and easily accessed, I can envision people using them.

Thanks for thinking of this!

Ricardo Lameiro 06-15-2010 08:50 PM

Ubuntu Studio artwork proposal

A design to be used on video could be very good also. A lot of people post youtube videos and if they could post at the end some animation with "made with Ubuntu Studio" could be great :D I would!!!

Blender magicians please, show your at :D

I like the idea and agree that it could help show others what can be done with Ubuntu Studio. *It would be nice if several different "Made on Ubuntu Studio" logo styles were available to suit the usage-scenario. *If they were readily available, professional-looking, and easily accessed, I can envision people using them.

Thanks for thinking of this!

I would really like to see as an OFFICIAL "Made in Ubuntu" type

piece for marking our creations. *

Ubuntu Studio developers and users; What say ye?

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro