Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Scott Lavender

Default Ubuntu Studio Project Lead

Hello all,

I wanted to take a little time to post an update to the -user mailing list about Ubuntu Studio and the project lead position in particular.

During this cycle (Maverick) I have assumed the responsibilities for the project lead position.* However, the transition really began during Lucid and to this end I would like to thank Cory, Luke, Luis, Emmet, Jussi and Eric for their support and advice.

As project lead I hope to provide active, direct leadership in a transparent manner.* Examples of this should already be evident and can be found in the -user and -dev mailing lists and on the #ubuntu-studio-devel IRC channel.* Also, all users are encouraged to attend the developer meetings as your input is valuable.* You can find more information about the meetings at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Meetings

In addition, I would like make communication with the users a defining hallmark of this project.* Not only will we be asking for your opinions but also querying you for information about your needs.* Therefore, please expect further emails to this list soliciting your input.

Furthermore, anyone can also email me directly with questions or comments at: scottalavender@gmail.com* I encourage you to contact me as you feel necessary.* Also, I have a blog where you can keep up with any of my musings regarding Ubuntu Studio at:* http://dullass.blogspot.com/* Oftentimes I will post about my thoughts before decisions are made or about things before they happen elsewhere.

Moving on, Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat is seeing improvements that I would like to mention.

We are working on JACK and Pulse Audio integration via dbus and the Alpha 1 ISO is available for all to begin testing.* Obviously finding stable integration between JACK and Pulse Audio would be a marked improvement in usability.* The goal is to have this implemented during Maverick which would pave
the way for other improvements.

We are also attempting to address the gnome-network-admin bug which prevents configuration of network connections, as I posted previously to this list.* Finding a solution to this bug would obviously have a large impact to usability.

LV2 plugins are another area of improvement.* We began packaging these last cycle and continue this cycle.

An updated website is also in the works, although the time table is not quite as fixed as the Maverick's release cycle.

Lastly, we are evaluating whether we would implement a backports PPA for applications included in Ubuntu Studio.* Quality is important, so there would be some caveats regarding what we would or wouldn't package but I personally would love to hear your feedback on this item in particular.

That's all that I have at this moment, although I should be writing again or posting in the near future.

Please let us know how we can improve Ubuntu Studio for you, just remember that we work within the Ubuntu paradigm, so all improvements must comply with those systemic restrictions (e.g. all applications in the official repositories).

Regards,
ScottL

Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Hartmut Noack

Am 07.06.2010 21:46, schrieb Scott Lavender:

> As project lead I hope to provide active, direct leadership in a transparent
> manner.

Transparency is indeed crucial. It is a major advantage of free software
and I think it could be pushed some more in Ubuntu overall. Personally I
have noticed your efforts in that field and appreciate them a lot :-)

> We are working on JACK and Pulse Audio integration via dbus and the Alpha 1
> ISO is available for all to begin testing. Obviously finding stable
> integration between JACK and Pulse Audio would be a marked improvement in
> usability.

I love to see this improve but still I think, it will not be easy to
diminish the hatred against PA that many users have accumulated.

The overall design of PA is capable to solve many many problems for
Linux Audio and I think, we have no better approach and I am sure, that
nobdy on earth really wants any all new experiments so PA should be
pushed I think.

BUT to gain the trust of the users PA must become much more
user-configurable then before. The first step should be a "disable
PA"-switch in a decent, accessible GUI (could be a mixer). This should
be possible *without* removing PA alltogether and PA should be really
absolute passive if this switch is flicked by the user.

> LV2 plugins are another area of improvement. We began packaging these last
> cycle and continue this cycle.

That is very good news :-)
Can we have the all-new CALF-stuff from SVN?

> Please let us know how we can improve Ubuntu Studio for you, just remember
> that we work within the Ubuntu paradigm, so all improvements must comply
> with those systemic restrictions (e.g. all applications in the official
> repositories).

Guitarix is very important and it makes astounding progress at the
moment. Brummer and freinds made this little crushing amp a veritable
powerstack usable for serious studio-use with full MIDI-learn, built-in
convolution-engine and many other pro-grade features.
And i have to stress this again: the new CALF-Plugins that are in the
works now will be a revolution in the world of native plugins for Linux.
Some are entirely new like the sidechain-compressor, others replace
bit-rotten LADSPA-plugins that do not work anymore like the powerfull
deesser. And most of them work allready:

http://lapoc.de/img/calf-new10.png

best regs
HZN/Berlin

Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Hi Scott.

Well, it's a good program.

Few things, as i've done an official conference about UBS at Paris
Ubuntu Party.

- Many people ask for a viewable boot ! Many beleive that there was a
bug during the boot !
- Many people ask about software distribution, for many, UBS is too
music edition designed, and not enough image/Video edition completed.

A question

is there a plan to complete Lucid UBS LTS, or only improving the next
UBS release ?

For producing multimedia, powerfull, stable and complete release is
absolutly necessary, so lucid need large complete under UBS release.

Thanks for the lead,

Bye,
Laurent
lprod.org

Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Hartmut Noack

Am 07.06.2010 22:32, schrieb laurent.bellegarde:

> - Many people ask about software distribution, for many, UBS is too
> music edition designed, and not enough image/Video edition completed.

Sorry but whenever I read this, I fail to understand it. There is
absolutely NO overweight of music-production capabilities in UBS.
Maybe people get this feeling as they see the long list of music-apps in
the menu but this has reasons, that are intrinsic in the design of audio
production on computers in general and even more in Linux. It is
modular. You have synths, samplers, sequencers, hd-recorders/editors,
FX, score-editors, tuners, utilities and DAWs like Rosegarden and
Ardour. It would be nonsense, to cut that list just to make it look less
music-centered.
On the other hand, there are not that many different small apps for
Linux in the field of graphics. But GIMP and Inkscape offer much more
for graphics then say, zynaddsubfx for music. Still zynadd is important
for it is specialized on creating synth-sounds and it is very good on
this. There is no graphics-app like zynadd, you can do it all in GIMP.
For 3d there is Blender and if there is anything for sound, that can be
compared to Blender then its Ardour so 3d-people will be OK with that, I
do not know any free 3d-modeling-app that could offer something, Blender
cannot do. In a word: I do not know any available Linux-app for
graphics, that is missing in UBS.(Krita could be a candidate, but it is
not there yet in terms of stability).

PLUS: Audio is most important for UBS because one can install GIMP,
Blender, Synfig, Inkscape or any other graphics-app on any standard
generic Linux and it will work. Not so will jack, Ardour and the like,
they need a system, that is carefully tweaked to RT-needs and a generic
Linux would not be adeaquate. And Video-apps need more or less the same
tweaks.

So, if users say, they find UBS to be too much focused on audio, one
should explain, that this is not the case and not try to follow
"customer-demands" that derive from wrong assumtions made at first-glance.

best regs
HZN

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
teza

Le 07/06/2010 22:29, Hartmut Noack a écrit :
> Am 07.06.2010 21:46, schrieb Scott Lavender:
>

>> As project lead I hope to provide active, direct leadership in a transparent
>> manner.
>>
> Transparency is indeed crucial. It is a major advantage of free software
> and I think it could be pushed some more in Ubuntu overall. Personally I
> have noticed your efforts in that field and appreciate them a lot :-)
>

>> We are working on JACK and Pulse Audio integration via dbus and the Alpha 1
>> ISO is available for all to begin testing. Obviously finding stable
>> integration between JACK and Pulse Audio would be a marked improvement in
>> usability.
>>
> I love to see this improve but still I think, it will not be easy to
> diminish the hatred against PA that many users have accumulated.
>
> The overall design of PA is capable to solve many many problems for
> Linux Audio and I think, we have no better approach and I am sure, that
> nobdy on earth really wants any all new experiments so PA should be
> pushed I think.
>
> BUT to gain the trust of the users PA must become much more
> user-configurable then before. The first step should be a "disable
> PA"-switch in a decent, accessible GUI (could be a mixer). This should
> be possible *without* removing PA alltogether and PA should be really
> absolute passive if this switch is flicked by the user.
>

>> LV2 plugins are another area of improvement. We began packaging these last
>> cycle and continue this cycle.
>>
> That is very good news :-)
> Can we have the all-new CALF-stuff from SVN?
>

>> Please let us know how we can improve Ubuntu Studio for you, just remember
>> that we work within the Ubuntu paradigm, so all improvements must comply
>> with those systemic restrictions (e.g. all applications in the official
>> repositories).
>>
> Guitarix is very important and it makes astounding progress at the
> moment. Brummer and freinds made this little crushing amp a veritable
> powerstack usable for serious studio-use with full MIDI-learn, built-in
> convolution-engine and many other pro-grade features.
> And i have to stress this again: the new CALF-Plugins that are in the
> works now will be a revolution in the world of native plugins for Linux.
> Some are entirely new like the sidechain-compressor, others replace
> bit-rotten LADSPA-plugins that do not work anymore like the powerfull
> deesser. And most of them work allready:
>
> http://lapoc.de/img/calf-new10.png
>
> best regs
> HZN/Berlin

Hi, I agree for Guitarix this software made a big jump lately. Where did
you find the calf plugin you show in the picture?
Thanks
Best Regards
Teza

Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM
"Jose H."

I have the crazy idea that Ubuntu Studio should be user oriented.
If that was the case, ubuntu studio needs to solve two really big issues:** 1) complexity: PA vs Jack => ubuntu studio vs the user, Windows and Mac will win
** 2) stability: jacks crashes, timidity crashes, etc.....
Shouldn't JACK+Timidity start with init.d and be stable, working without issues with PA ?
My Two cents.
*
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM, teza <tsaliou75@orange.fr> wrote:

Le 07/06/2010 22:29, Hartmut Noack a écrit :

> Am 07.06.2010 21:46, schrieb Scott Lavender:

>> As project lead I hope to provide active, direct leadership in a transparent

>> manner.

> Transparency is indeed crucial. It is a major advantage of free software

> and I think it could be pushed some more in Ubuntu overall. Personally I

> have noticed your efforts in that field and appreciate them a lot :-)

>> We are working on JACK and Pulse Audio integration via dbus and the Alpha 1

>> ISO is available for all to begin testing. *Obviously finding stable

>> integration between JACK and Pulse Audio would be a marked improvement in

>> usability.

> I love to see this improve but still I think, it will not be easy to

> diminish the hatred against PA that many users have accumulated.

> The overall design of PA is capable to solve many many problems for

> Linux Audio and I think, we have no better approach and I am sure, that

> nobdy on earth really wants any all new experiments so PA should be

> pushed I think.

> BUT to gain the trust of the users PA must become much more

> user-configurable then before. The first step should be a "disable

> PA"-switch in a decent, accessible GUI (could be a mixer). This should

> be possible *without* removing PA alltogether and PA should be really

> absolute passive if this switch is flicked by the user.

>> LV2 plugins are another area of improvement. *We began packaging these last

>> cycle and continue this cycle.

> That is very good news :-)

> Can we have the all-new CALF-stuff from SVN?

>> Please let us know how we can improve Ubuntu Studio for you, just remember

>> that we work within the Ubuntu paradigm, so all improvements must comply

>> with those systemic restrictions (e.g. all applications in the official

>> repositories).

> Guitarix is very important and it makes astounding progress at the

> moment. Brummer and freinds made this little crushing amp a veritable

> powerstack usable for serious studio-use with full MIDI-learn, built-in

> convolution-engine and many other pro-grade features.

> And i have to stress this again: the new CALF-Plugins that are in the

> works now will be a revolution in the world of native plugins for Linux.

> Some are entirely new like the sidechain-compressor, others replace

> bit-rotten LADSPA-plugins that do not work anymore like the powerfull

> deesser. And most of them work allready:

> http://lapoc.de/img/calf-new10.png

> best regs

> HZN/Berlin

Hi, I agree for Guitarix this software made a big jump lately. Where did

you find the calf plugin you show in the picture?

Thanks

Best Regards

Teza

Nuestra recompensa se encuentra en el
esfuerzo y no en el resultado. Un esfuerzo
total es una victoria completa.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Brian David

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Jose H. <joseche@gmail.com> wrote:

I have the crazy idea that Ubuntu Studio should be user oriented.
If that was the case, ubuntu studio needs to solve two really big issues:** 1) complexity: PA vs Jack => ubuntu studio vs the user, Windows and Mac will win

** 2) stability: jacks crashes, timidity crashes, etc.....
Shouldn't JACK+Timidity start with init.d and be stable, working without issues with PA ?
My Two cents.

*
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and suggest that Ubuntu Studio should not be user oriented.* At least, not in the sense that a main priority would be to make things as simple as possible.* It seems to me that a lot of problems have resulted from the active marketing of Ubuntu Studio as easy to use.

At this point, I've accepted that Linux audio is never going to be easy.* I've also accepted that this is a good thing, because the payoff is that the software is of higher quality and greater versatility.* My suggestion is that Ubuntu Studio should brand itself as a serious audio production system, one the provides the highest quality tools out there, but that requires patience and experience to utilize.* Not the easiest sell, but I'd say closer to reality.

Having said that, I think there are a few things that could be done to make Ubuntu Studio more user friendly.* The most obvious would be to make sure that the user is automatically put in the 'audio' and 'video' groups, and that firewire access is available out of the box without needing to mess with Ubuntu Studio Controls.* This should allow JACK to start right away for most users.* However, above all else, what Ubuntu Studio needs is much much much better documentation and tutorials.

On a final note, a long running issue for me is how often a quality rt kernel is left out of the releases.* On my system, at least, the RT kernel is the only one that gives good enough performance.* The vanilla and preempt kernels produce far too many x-runs.* I seem to have no problems with the 2.6.31 RT kernel, but it would be awfully nice to have a 32 version.

--
-Brian David

Old 06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Steve Batte

If Brian is going to play DA, I have to stick up for him: real pro
audio equipment requires constant cleaning, tuning and calibration,
unlike your consumer-grade home-E system. What sets Logic and ProTools
apart from Garage Band are deep functionality and flexibility, which
come with steep learning curves. Personally, I'm looking for that
level of performance (or better) from Ubuntu Studio, I don't mind
having to work to get it, and it seems to me you're almost there.

And I am setting off now to look for that link where I can sign up to
help with documentation. Time to do my part.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Hartmut Noack

Am 08.06.2010 01:53, schrieb teza:
> Le 07/06/2010 22:29, Hartmut Noack a écrit :
>>
> Hi, I agree for Guitarix this software made a big jump lately. Where did
> you find the calf plugin you show in the picture?

This is the stand of affairs in:

http://repo.or.cz/r/calf.git

:-) :-)

most of the new plug ins are from Markus Schmidt:

http://mein-neues-blog.de/2010/01/27/aktuell-linux-audio-goes-professional/

Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Det

Hartmut Noack schrieb:
[snipped]
> PLUS: Audio is most important for UBS because one can install GIMP,
> Blender, Synfig, Inkscape or any other graphics-app on any standard
> generic Linux and it will work. Not so will jack, Ardour and the like,
> they need a system, that is carefully tweaked to RT-needs and a generic
> Linux would not be adeaquate. And Video-apps need more or less the same
> tweaks.

Not to mention the fact that one cannot create
a sensible video without a good sound track.
And as far as I know "sound" = "audio".

So at least in the final production steps
both will be equally demanded.

> So, if users say, they find UBS to be too much focused on audio, one
> should explain, that this is not the case and not try to follow
> "customer-demands" that derive from wrong assumtions made at
> first-glance.

Well, hum, the simple question is, what those users
miss from the video support of UBS.

If one says "I miss nothing, but it's too audio centered
nevertheless" then give him a mild smile and a pitying
clap on the shoulder. Otherwise .... listen.

KR
Det