Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Brian David

Default Ubuntu Studio Project Lead

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM, laurent.bellegarde <laurent.bellegarde@free.fr> wrote:

Hi Scott and* all,

Le 09/06/2010 19:40, Scott Lavender a écrit*:

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM,
laurent.bellegarde <laurent.bellegarde@free.fr>
wrote:

Hi
Scott.

Well, it's a good program.

Few things, as i've done an official conference about UBS at Paris

Ubuntu Party.

- Many people ask for a viewable boot ! Many beleive that there was a

bug during the boot !

I'm not sure what you mean by 'viewable boot'.* Do you mean the
progress bar?

On my system the progress bar is only visible for three to four seconds
before the GDM screen appears and the progress bar only fills the first
U and part of the N!* I am curious if other systems are similar.* The
Plymouth theme was added very, very late during last cycle so it might
require some tweaking although I am unsure how much adjusting is
possible.

Yes, when i'm booting under generic kernel that's doing the same thing
as you, on different laptop with intel, or ati graphics cards. it's not
very beautifull. More difficult is the boot under RT-kernel, there is
no graphical boot, only a blank screen, and few seconds before having
GDM, severals understanding command lines on the left part of the
screen, which is more than awfull :-/

You mentioned a video of your event before.* Is it available so I can
see what you are describing?

As soon it's available online, i'll tell the list.

Laurent

I'd like to add that the hideous boot sequence is not just a problem for UbuStu. *For many graphics cards, including the ATI on my desktop, the Lucid boot sequence will only show in the lowest resolution, and with all sorts of command line text showing up. *It is not pretty at all. *It is apparently due to the proprietary drivers (which in the case of ATI, is often the only one that will correctly render 3D, or even work at all) causing issues with suspend and resume, or something. *Whatever the reason, it's a bad bug that will show up on lots of systems and make the splash screen an eyesore. *It's a shame it ended up in the LTS.

--
-Brian David

Old 06-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Alessio Igor Bogani

Hi Brian,

2010/6/11 Brian David <beejunk@gmail.com>:
[...]
>> Could you evaluate and compare those results with -lowlatency kernel
>> available on https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa/+packages,
>> please?
[...]
> With the -lowlatency kernel, performance was moderate. Running Hyrdrogen
> through a few JACKRack effects for a little while didn't produce any x-runs
> (except on the program start-up, which is probably to be expected.)
> However, I opened some fairly complicated mixing sessions in Ardour, which
> pushed the DSP to around 40%, and I started getting x-runx every minute or
> so. This is better than the vanilla kernel, but not quite good enough for
> my needs.
>
> I tried out the -realtime kernel, and it worked like a charm. Ran a very
> complicated Ardour session (upwards of 80% DSP) and had not a single x-run
> after 30 minutes.
>
> I do notice that the kernel page Scott referenced did say to only use the
> -realtime kernel if the other ones do not work. Is there something I should
> know about this kernel if I plan to use it extensively? As in, it's not
> going to kill my computer or anything, right?

No -realtime kernel don't kill computers but 1) it don't offer
security fixes, 2) it don't offer a 100% working system with open and
closed video drivers (that is KMS) and 3) Don't offer no one of the
Ubuntu added kernel features (eCrypt, appArmor and so on).

So if you use -realtime you'll obtain a fully preemptible kernel *but*
you could break some other feature.

I would want drop -rt/-realtime kernel because no one seems interested
into it's maintenance and try to make -lowlatency the default kernel
for Studio.

Ciao,
Alessio

Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Hi all,

Brian David wrote:

> I'd like to add that the hideous boot sequence is not just a problem
> for UbuStu. For many graphics cards, including the ATI on my desktop,
> the Lucid boot sequence will only show in the lowest resolution, and
> with all sorts of command line text showing up. It is not pretty at
> all. It is apparently due to the proprietary drivers (which in the
> case of ATI, is often the only one that will correctly render 3D, or
> even work at all) causing issues with suspend and resume, or
> something. Whatever the reason, it's a bad bug that will show up on
> lots of systems and make the splash screen an eyesore. It's a shame
> it ended up in the LTS.

In my first install Lucid 64 generic, the boot was graphical and well
done without any trouble. In beta 1, ati 3D drivers were excellent. The
decrease started with the beta 2 and the release candidate.

For video editing, and at the same time audio editing, it's more
interesting to have an nvidia graphic card than an ati one, due to the
bad 3D proprio drivers not available in RT kernel.

But the boot splash screen sequence is another trouble.

Laurent