-   -   Optical Drive Workaround (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/379038-optical-drive-workaround.html)

Paul DeShaw 05-30-2010 11:16 PM

Optical Drive Workaround

Kenneth Koym <koymkg@gmail.com> wrote:

Paul, can't follow this instruction w/o more; going from places>computer, I

find the following: computer:///750%20GB%20Hard%20Disk.drive

computer:///750%20GB%20Hard%20Disk-1.drive

computer:///CompactFlash%20Drive.drive

computer:///Floppy%20Drive.drive

computer:///MemoryStick%20Drive.drive

computer:///SecureDigital%20Drive.drive

computer:///SmartMedia%20Drive.drive

computer:///root.link

Apologies, have a meeting in minutes from now... Back later to try the work

around.

Ken

Hello Ken,

Did you open up your box and move the jumper on the optical drive?* All the documentation on the HP 840d says it should be on the "slave" setting, but this apparently hasn't worked since Hardy, according to that article in Launchpad.* Pull it out and put it on the "Cable Select" setting. That worked for me.

IIRC you have a laptop?* That may be more difficult.* The Launchpad article was about a specific drive for tower cases, so it might be a moot point.

I'm curious to know if other optical drives need this same setting.* If your drive works, and you're willing, open up your computer and check the jumper on your CD/DVD drive.* Your hardware can run cooler if you get out the vacuum and clean off the cooling fins, so might as well check that jumper while you're in there.