-   -   Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/373043-upgrade-10-04-still-no-cd-dvd-drive.html)

Paul DeShaw 05-19-2010 04:01 AM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

Greetings,

In a previous post I reported that Ubuntu Studio 9.10 could not find my HP DVD Writer 840d; this issue was never resolved.* I have done a clean install of 10.04 and have the same problem--From the first boot, the very drive that read the install DVD, does not exist as far as Ubuntu Studio is concerned.* Since the drive worked fine while running generic Ubuntu 9.10 from a flash drive, I could probably fix the problem simply by installing the generic 10.04 and adding the Studio packages.* However, if there is any interest in finding and fixing this Ubuntu Studio-specific problem, I am willing to keep this install and work with the list to get it ironed out.* I would really like to see Ubuntu Studio work for as many people as possible.* I am concerned that the adoption of Ubuntu Studio could be seriously hindered if such common hardware is not usable.* Does anyone want to work on this with me?

--Paul in Seattle

kirko birilli 05-21-2010 12:43 PM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

hi paul,
hope that helps with your problem.found it while looking for a solution for my msi-laptop dvd writer.was messing around with udev as well and the discussion in the bug report helped me getting a grip on that what was going on focussing on udev!also k3b worked well and brasero not and try to mount the thingy via command line.
cheers
shen
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/udev/+bug/554433

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Kenneth Koym 05-21-2010 09:08 PM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

Mr. DeShaw:
** Solely reading what you say, leads me to believe a need exists to test, verify that the install did not kill the HP DVD Writer 840d. If I didn't two family members in separate hospitals, I review bugs related to installation kills. Appears very rare that 9.10 & 10.04 produce a dead HP DVD Writer 840d reading. Suggest google may supply you a work around.

*** Thanks for letting Ubuntu Studio techs have a chance to solve the mystery.

Ken

Paul DeShaw 05-27-2010 04:12 AM

kirko birilli wrote <snip>:

hi paul,

hope that helps with your problem.found it while looking for a solution for my msi-laptop dvd writer.was messing around with udev as well and the discussion in the bug report...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/udev/+bug/554433

Kirko (or Shen? help me figure out who I'm replying to),

That was useful, if only to eliminate something.* I tried opening Disk Utility, and the drive does not show up at all.

From: Kenneth Koym* wrote <snip>**If I didn't two

family members in separate hospitals, I review bugs related to installation

kills. Appears very rare that 9.10 & 10.04 produce a dead HP DVD Writer 840d

reading. Suggest google may supply you a work around.

* *Thanks for letting Ubuntu Studio techs have a chance to solve the

mystery.

Ken

I don't want you spending time on this, take care of family matters and please don't neglect your own needs either...I will Google away.* Installation kills...never heard of such a thing.* The actual hardware is alive, it is detected by Bios and can boot live CDs.

I apologize, I gave up on this list too soon and posted on ubuntu-studio-developers; somebody's helping there as well...maybe we can at least get my hardware working, but hopefully, get this patched so it doesn't happen to other users.* I'm sure everyone wants a multimedia production distro to detect common optical drives.

Thanks,

PD

Kenneth Koym 05-27-2010 10:25 AM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

Ditto. Here in Austin TX my 10.04 upgrade within Kubuntu loaded with an UbuStu build won't produce sound, i.e., when opening YouTube or other simple docs. Have had no time to unravel what it'll take to do a work around. Any guidance will be gladly appreciated. Thx up front. Kenneth

kirko birilli 05-27-2010 01:15 PM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

victims of upgrading,you are greeted!

guys,could you please send me what machines you got?to break it down:
1)i have an cr700 msi laptop (lucky me) who had a massive and till now still has a* minor dvd writer problem.first just didn't recognise the thing or only after repeatedly rebooting on basis of the 'normal' generic kernel.was tinkering around with udev-extra so brasero collapsed and k3b refused or jumped some control checks.sorry that i am so unspecific but was too lazy to document it.
kicked brasero out and reinstalled k3b with default udev 151-12 and works stable except irregularily (!!!,yes it is a computer) a dodgy message at boot referring to sr0 and i/o errors.didn't work that out yet but think that's the place where all goes wrong.

2)installed 10.04 on a HP,pentium 4 old horse and later got the rt kernel and the studio
pack down.works like a train.without any upgrade.

obviously not a solution so sorry if i wasted your time but think we are in the same boat.

point for me is: -where does it go wrong?* it remains me a bit at that server edition thing that you had to enable usb support to detect a usb device.just have no clue what happened on developer's side and i share your frustration about politix.
cheers
shen*

Paul DeShaw 05-28-2010 04:57 AM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

Hi,

A miracle happened. Sort of.

I noticed that I had forgotten to turn off my computer last night.
When I unlocked the screen, I saw a tab open to this page:

I can't find a reference to this link in any of the mail on this
topic; if you sent it, please say so. Or not; it's sort of cool to
believe it just appeared from nowhere. Ubuntu shall provide.

Anyway, the above link has a workaround: change the jumper from
"slave" to "cable select", which AFAIK should be the wrong setting,
but it works. I have not tested burns yet, but it does play a CD. It
also does not appear in the menu under Places. Navigate to
Places>Computer, and it is in the file browser window that opens.

I am still working with the ubuntu-studio-developers folks in case
they want to patch something so the jumper change is not necessary.

Thanks for your help,

Paul in Seattle

kirko birilli 05-28-2010 09:02 AM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

congratulations paul,
first rule:check hardware and connections.jejeje.
cheers
shen* (aka kirko the amazing snake dompteur)

Kenneth Koym 05-28-2010 01:50 PM

Upgrade to 10.04; still no CD/DVD drive

Paul, can't follow this instruction w/o more; going from places>computer, I find the following: computer:///750%20GB%20Hard%20Disk.drive
computer:///750%20GB%20Hard%20Disk-1.drive
computer:///CompactFlash%20Drive.drive

computer:///Floppy%20Drive.drive
computer:///MemoryStick%20Drive.drive
computer:///SecureDigital%20Drive.drive
computer:///SmartMedia%20Drive.drive
computer:///root.link
Apologies, have a meeting in minutes from now... Back later to try the work around.

Ken