Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
bart deruyter

Default video stutter

Hi all,

Running ubuntustudio 10.04 I seem to have a lot of trouble with the playback of video. At first I thought it was a slow internet connection when playing flash video online, but it happens on local video, all types of video, from mp4 to mpg2, flv, mkv...

Mostly trouble starts after pauzing for a while. I had this problem before when playing from a DVD because the content has to be read from the disk, that's normal I guess, but now it always happens when playing files on the harddrive too.

For online video it is really a problem, because on short video's I even can't see any motion anymore. Playback of audio is not stuttering though.

I have found a bug in the ubuntu bugtracker that could be compared with what I experience, but there seems to be only one other person affected by this : #572580
. The difference is that my audio does not have difficulties. Perhaps I should file a new bug for this.

Is there anyone who has a similar problem, or even a solution for it?

grtz,
Bart

http://www.bartart3d.be/

Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
lrspares45

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 14:39 +0200, bart deruyter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Running ubuntustudio 10.04 I seem to have a lot of trouble with the
> playback of video. At first I thought it was a slow internet
> connection when playing flash video online, but it happens on local
> video, all types of video, from mp4 to mpg2, flv, mkv...
>
> Mostly trouble starts after pauzing for a while. I had this problem
> before when playing from a DVD because the content has to be read from
> the disk, that's normal I guess, but now it always happens when
> playing files on the harddrive too.
>
> For online video it is really a problem, because on short video's I
> even can't see any motion anymore. Playback of audio is not stuttering
> though.
>
> I have found a bug in the ubuntu bugtracker that could be compared
> with what I experience, but there seems to be only one other person
> affected by this : #572580 . The difference is that my audio does not
> have difficulties. Perhaps I should file a new bug for this.
>
> Is there anyone who has a similar problem, or even a solution for it?
>
> grtz,
> Bart

Granny and eggs and all that, but it's not a laptop is it? Ours started
messing about like that and it turned out to be a "performance/battery"
setting causing it. Just a thought!

Cheers
Richard

Old 05-18-2010, 04:14 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Hi bart,

On the both laptop we have with my wife, all videos in all format are
going well, except avchd encoded one, but it's normal, under
proprioatory system it is the same. For editing/reading AVCHD video
well, you can convert them easily with the free software EKD :

http://ekd.tuxfamily.org/ (only in french for the website, but avalaible
in english for the software)

Bye

Laurent
lprod.org

Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
bart deruyter

Thanks for the responses.
(I first accidentally answered with this to one individual accidentally, so I guess it didn't get on the ubuntu-studio-users list, now it's solved (so far it is at least) I repost a modified version :-) )

I have this problem with proprietary
and open formats. Flash version is 10.0.45.2. Like many, I have
discovered this has the 'buttons are not accessible with mouse' bug when
compiz is running, certainly on youtube.

After some testing, and looking around, I found the problem, it was linked with the nvidia driver. For some mysterious reason, I think it must have been because of an update, it used the 173 version, not the 'Current Version' (has no number). I changed to 'Current Version', and the problems are solved.

As a side note, I started testing my wacom ( intous 3)
and the buttons don't work anymore, while they did out of the box in US
9.10, so that's something else to work on in the future. I only
discovered it now, so it means I don't really use these button very
often, but any how, improvement, is improvement, it should work. I'm
just learning programming and am thinking about working out a GUI for
the wacom settings, but I can't promise anything at the moment (got to
have time for it).

system :
4GB ram
intel core2 CPU 6700 @2.66GHz,
video card
: nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS]
audio : intel corporation
82801H

grtz,
Barthttp://www.bartart3d.be/