-   -   updating, upgrading Feisty, Gutsy (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/3704-updating-upgrading-feisty-gutsy.html)

"Christopher Stamper" 11-23-2007 04:50 PM

updating, upgrading Feisty, Gutsy

YES, its is!!!
*
How could you do any audio work and not know about Jack?
*
If you plan to do any, *any* audio production, you need jack. Unless your doing some audacity thing... :-(
*
You should do a clean install...
*
On 11/22/07, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
On Friday 16 November 2007, Christopher Stamper wrote:

> It is definately best to do a clean install. Reformat the disk and

> everything. You'll be very glad you did.

Good advice for people who don't like adventure, but it isn't turning out as
badly as the reams of help me messages had me fearing it would.

I don't think this would have worked using the graphical frontends.**I've had

to dist-upgrade and -f install I've lost track of how many times.**I had to
hack /etc/init.d/timidity to just exit 0 immediately in order to free up a
log jam of suspended packages, and then I had to resort to actually doing

(wince):

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite
kitchensync_4%3a3.5.7enterprise20070926-0ubuntu2_i386.deb

to clear up the final logjam.**I don't know what Kitchen Sync is, but I can
afford to break it if I just did.

GNOME seems rather broken.**I just created a disposable user to go look at
what Ubuntu Studio is supposed to look like, and GNOME came up with no window
manager.**Not very helpful.**(The GIMP looks dramatically better in its

native environment.**I wonder how I can make it look like that in KDE?)

Also, I'm still running the same kernel I was on Feisty a few hours ago, but
JACK won't start now.**Well, let's try now that I finally got down to 0

packages that need upgrading (after about three hours.)**No.**It's barfing
with some weird ass errors.

A mess, but it looks like nothing critical is going to break.**Except JACK.
JACK isn't critical for Ubuntu Studio users is it?

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Christopher Stamper
christopherstamper@gmail.com