-   -   Studio + KDE (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/370235-studio-kde.html)

TSH 05-12-2010 06:45 PM

Studio + KDE

Until now I've been an Ubuntu and Xubuntu user, and have played around
with other variants, like Mint. This is my first Studio installation, on
a 64 bit machine.

Does Studio 10.04 come with the KDE desktop as well as the default Gnome
one? I realise this may be a stupid question, but when I log out of my
usual Gnome session, I see the option to log back in to a KDE session.
And yet this just results in a black, useless screen, with a mouse
pointer over it.

This is not a particularly big deal for me, as I prefer Gnome anyway. But
I also like to use some applications like Amarok, Scribus, Knode, and
others which are aimed at KDE environments. But in Studio, unlike in
other 'buntus I've used, these do not pick up the native theme in any
way, and look horribly out of place in the Gnome environment. Previously
when I've installed these applications in other variants, at least the
basic window frame and colour respects the theme settings in Gnome. I'm
wondering if this is related to the KDE desktop not seeming to work.

--

Stewart H.
Posting via Gmane

Hakan Koseoglu 05-12-2010 06:56 PM

Studio + KDE

TSH said the following on 12/05/10 19:45:
> Does Studio 10.04 come with the KDE desktop as well as the default Gnome
> one? I realise this may be a stupid question, but when I log out of my
> usual Gnome session, I see the option to log back in to a KDE session.
> And yet this just results in a black, useless screen, with a mouse
> pointer over it.
Did you install kubuntu desktop packages?
I have to admit, I tend to start with kubuntu and then load studio packages
so it always worked for me :)

Kenneth Koym 05-12-2010 07:56 PM

Studio + KDE

Stewart H.
** Sounds like you've ended up with limitations I found after loading a xfce version of ubuntu known as xbuntu. Myself, I removed all the xfce I could using synaptic manager but here's a short cut. Though I have not done what the guru at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome advises, last night I reviewed his guidance with regard to perfecting Kubuntu, which is run off of KDE, which you are asking about. Clicking on the above http, you may review the advice given. And, if you like what is said, I believe you'll solve the issues you have. I find cryptic expressions guru a little hard to read but he's thorough and has many followers who rave about his help on ubuntuforums.org. Fact of matter, there's a link from the http to ubuntuforums.org if you wish to verify before you follow his guidance about 10.04 lucid lynx updating relative to your black screen. Yes, I believe Kubuntu will handle UbuStudio. Good luck!

Kenneth *

TSH 05-12-2010 11:39 PM

Studio + KDE

On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:56:45 -0500, Kenneth Koym wrote:

> Stewart H.
> Sounds like you've ended up with limitations I found after loading a
> xfce
> version of ubuntu known as xbuntu. Myself, I removed all the xfce I
> could using synaptic manager but here's a short cut. Though I have not
> done what the guru at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome
> advises, last night I reviewed his guidance with regard to perfecting
> Kubuntu, which is run off of KDE, which you are asking about. Clicking
> on the above http, you may review the advice given. And, if you like
> what is said, I believe you'll solve the issues you have. I find cryptic
> expressions guru a little hard to read but he's thorough and has many
> followers who rave about his help on ubuntuforums.org. Fact of matter,
> there's a link from the http to ubuntuforums.org if you wish to verify
> before you follow his guidance about 10.04 lucid lynx updating relative
> to your black screen. Yes, I believe Kubuntu will handle UbuStudio. Good
> luck! Kenneth

Thanks for that. I've sorted out what's going on - when I installed Knode
and Amarok. they brought a bit of KDE stuff with them; enough to make a
'phantom' KDE session in the login options. So for the time being I've
uninstalled them both, together with all the stuff they brought with
them, and that has sorted out the phantom KDE option. A pity, because
they both played nicely with my last installation of Ubuntu, even though
they are built for KDE environments.

But I'm still a bit puzzled why Scribus won't conform with the native
Gnome theme I've set. Is it a QT issue, I wonder?

--
Stewart H.

Posting via Gmane

TSH 05-12-2010 11:43 PM

Studio + KDE

On Wed, 12 May 2010 19:56:02 +0100, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> TSH said the following on 12/05/10 19:45:
>> Does Studio 10.04 come with the KDE desktop as well as the default
>> Gnome one? I realise this may be a stupid question, but when I log out
>> of my usual Gnome session, I see the option to log back in to a KDE
>> session. And yet this just results in a black, useless screen, with a
>> mouse pointer over it.
> Did you install kubuntu desktop packages?

Yes, that was the issue. I hadn't realised quite how much KDE stuff Knode
and Amarok brought with them when I installed them.

That's sorted out now, and I guess the Scribus issue is unrelated after
all. But I would like to know how to make it conform with the theme I've
set.

--
Stewart H.
Posting via Gmane

Kenneth Koym 05-13-2010 04:39 AM

Studio + KDE

Stewart H. for more indepth study on Sound and Gnome versus KDE, I'd refer you to MarkUbuntu who has a sticky that might address your questions. His review of methods is found on UbuntuForum.org. Ken