-   -   linuxrt package not standard in studio ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/369641-linuxrt-package-not-standard-studio.html)

lrspares45 05-11-2010 05:29 PM

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 18:44 +0200, laurent.bellegarde wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> yesterday i've installed Ubuntu studio amd64 lucid on a laptop in dual
> boot with Windows(c) XP pro.
>
> I've done the install with the Ubuntu lucid amd64 standard CD, then
> modified the sources.list, an update, dist-upgrade and to finish a
> complete install of all ubuntustudio packages. Everything goes fine, but
> after a reboot no RT kernel available in grub, and i've discovered that
> the linuxrt package wasn't install with ubuntustudio-audio...
>
> is it normal ?
>
> Bye,
>
> Laurent

I had to install separately it after studio, so it would seem it is not
included. As I don't actually use it now I can't say if it has been
updated during the two upgrades since.

Cheers
Richard

Alessio Igor Bogani 05-11-2010 05:41 PM

linuxrt package not standard in studio ?

Hi Laurent,

2010/5/11 laurent.bellegarde <laurent.bellegarde@free.fr>:
[...]
> I've done the install with the Ubuntu lucid amd64 standard CD, then
> modified the sources.list, an update, dist-upgrade and to finish a
> complete install of all ubuntustudio packages. Everything goes fine, but
> after a reboot no RT kernel available in grub, and i've discovered that
> the linuxrt package wasn't install with ubuntustudio-audio...

I would suggest to you (and to all others readers in this ml) to
install and use linux-rt only if it is _really_ required.

You could take a look on -preempt kernel (available only on amd64) or
-lowlatency kernel (for both i386 and amd64) available on my PPA.
These aren't fully preemptible kernels but should be enough for almost
all our users.

Ciao,
Alessio

Brian David 05-11-2010 07:58 PM

linuxrt package not standard in studio ?

I would suggest to you (and to all others readers in this ml) to

install and use linux-rt only if it is _really_ required.

Are there issues with the RT kernel in Lucid?* And if so, what are they?

--
-Brian David

Gerhard Lang 05-11-2010 09:49 PM

linuxrt package not standard in studio ?

ubuntu provided obsolete proprietary nvidiadrivers always don't like
these rt-kernels in the first weeks of a new version until a friendly
coder has patched/updated them.
On my primary audio orientated installations I never ran into other issues.
plz excuse my meddling ;)

Gerhard Lang 05-11-2010 10:22 PM

linuxrt package not standard in studio ?

Indeed, on my amd and intel standard systems there is no urgent need to
use a rt-kernel. These actual generic and preempt kernels i.e. allow
rt-activation in jack and there is not much difference in cpu-load
against rt- or ck-kernels. Using these rt-kernels you get extended
options to customize and optimize IRQ-settings an priorities; this may
be interesting for the bleeding edge of performance tuning. But much
more important is maximizing cpufrequency (fixed, no ondemand) by cpu
frequency scaling for minimizing latencies and xruns.