Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Hartmut Noack

Default NVIDIA-drivers for the rt-kernel

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Gerhard Lang

Moin Hartmut,

I was messing around with lucid's amd64 betas and some bleeding-edge
ppas (not on productive partition ) and suddenly Nvidia proprietary
drivers stopped working.
So I had to remove these ppas, downgrade all xorg stuff to lucid
standards, remove jockey and all nvidia stuff besides nv, and installed
last driver from Nvidia's site manually as described in many howtos. Now
ubuntu's kernels 2.6.31-10-rt and 2.6.31-12-realtime again cooperate
with Nvidia 172.14.25 and my old fx5200. I love this legacy card due to
it's noiseless passive cooling.
But it may depend on your card and driver. Did you give nvnews and their
linux section a look?

Gruesse

bluesscream

Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Hartmut Noack

Am 11.05.2010 00:40, schrieb Gerhard Lang:
> Moin Hartmut,
>
> I was messing around with lucid's amd64 betas and some bleeding-edge
> ppas (not on productive partition ) and suddenly Nvidia proprietary
> drivers stopped working.
> So I had to remove these ppas, downgrade all xorg stuff to lucid
> standards, remove jockey and all nvidia stuff besides nv, and installed
> last driver from Nvidia's site manually as described in many howtos. Now
> ubuntu's kernels 2.6.31-10-rt and 2.6.31-12-realtime again cooperate
> with Nvidia 172.14.25 and my old fx5200.

I feared that it would turn out this way :-|

To be honest: of course I could fetch the driver from nividia.com and
install it from scratch but I thought, Ubuntu would solve these garbage
details with some klicks. So it did before flawlessly on the very same
machine and it still works with the generic kernel.

In the end it means, that I cannot recommend UbuntuStudio for musicians
that would like to switch...

> I love this legacy card due to
> it's noiseless passive cooling.
> But it may depend on your card and driver. Did you give nvnews and their
> linux section a look?
>
> Gruesse

Danke :-) bis bald

HZN

Old 05-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Scott Lavender

now, that Ubuntu 10.4 is official, I thought I could use it with the

rt-kernel but my experience with it was not so exiting, but more like

kinda upsetting to say the least:

jockey fails to install the correct NVDIA-module for the rt-kernel, it

does so several times for all variants of the NVIDIA-modules available.

Greetings Hartmut,

I hope you realized that the -rt kernel available in the repositories is
based on the 2.6.31 kernel.* This should be contrasted with the 2.6.32
-generic, -lowlatency and -preempt kernels otherwise available.

Allesio Bogani from the Ubuntu Studio team says in another email:

***** I would suggest to you (and to all others readers in this ml) to

*****
install and use linux-rt only if it is _really_ required.

*****
You could take a look on -preempt kernel (available only on amd64) or

*****
-lowlatency kernel (for both i386 and amd64) available on my PPA.

*****
These aren't fully preemptible kernels but should be enough for almost

*****
all our users.

Please try these other kernel options and let us know if they satisfy
your needs.* Getting your (and everyone's) feedback is critical to
future development.

Installing Ubuntu-studio settings activates GDM without asking, if I

would prefer to keep KDM.

GDM chooses XFCE when starting though I never have asked for that too.

Next time it likes to choose KDE4 - is there a random number generator

in use?

It sound like you may be starting with a base KDE install and then installing Ubuntu Studio packages on top of it?

If you could consistently reproduce this effect then I would suggest you file a bug.

The inclusion of XFCE is surprising.* Did you install it also?* I wouldn't expect (although I could be wrong) that any of the Ubuntu Studio packages would bring in the XFCE desktop environment.
*

But these are mere oddities - the main trouble is NVIDIA.

what can I do ?

best regards

HZN

Please try the other kernel flavors as Allesio suggested and let us know your experiences.* Remember, your experiences can help determine the future of Ubuntu Studio and which kernels are being used.

And I request that you try the other kernels before you dissuade anyone from using Ubuntu Studio.

Regards,
ScottL