Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
jONE

Default Motherboard compatibility - AMD

Hi Fernando I've got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ processor too and had
problems with the RT kernel since I first installed 8.04 onwards. I
tried pretty much everything until a few days ago, when I simply "loaded
optimized settings" on my BIOS and believe it or not, no mouse delay
and no hanging at all. My hammerfall soundcard's delay <10ms
recording 16channels. I honestly don't know what setting in the BIOS
messed it up since "optimized settings" or "default settings" options
don't specify much and I've tweaked the thing so many times I lost track
of what the original setting was! Maybe give that a try?

Good luck!

John

www.silver-sounds.com

Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Roy Damen

Dear John,

On my machine i had a similar problem with rt. After more than 1,5 year of searching, trying out and lots of help with explanation on the ubuntuforums i discovered that it was this BIOS setting that must be turned off: IOAPIC* It seems that ubuntu can manage* this by itself(if i understood correctly) I bet this solves your problem too!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Scott Lavender

[...]

I remember several years ago there were some problems with peoples systems acting sluggish or freezing with the -rt kernel during Hardy.* If I remember correctly it had to do with acpi, although I cannot find any of those emails on the mailing list.

However, I did find a Ubuntu Studio review by Dave Phillips that also mentions the acpi situation:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/judgement-day-studio-dave-tests-ubuntu-studio-904

Also, this 64Studio forum posts discusses it a little more:
http://www.64studio.com/node/1111

Hope this helps.

ScottL

Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Kenneth Koym

Fermando, Scot & John/Anyone:

My Acer Laptop lost its panel "applications"; "places"; "System"; "Shut Down" panel drop down. Nothing remains to restore. Right clicking does not pop up a shut down either; but right clicking does come up with options: "Create Folder, Create Folder, Create Document, Clean up Name, & Change Desktop Background." Can you mention* a command that I may write into "terminal" which I can open from the desktop? What terminal fix will "reconstitute" or

reconfigure the panel with the icon repopulated?

I'd sure appreciate your guidance. [perhaps this resulted from a hyperactive keyboard, which I guess has something to do with a motherboard issue.]

Kenneth

Old 05-08-2010, 03:38 PM
jONE

Hi Kenneth

I don't know about the Pannel icons, but if your desktop icons and windows dissapear, you can reload nautilus by typing alt+f2 and then "nautilus" without the commas. Think your problem is GNOME related though.

Did you try logging off and back on without restarting? and what happens if you do restart?

About the AMD's freezing, thanks, if I ever have the problem again, thast the first thing I'll check!

John

www.silver-sounds.com

Fermando, Scot & John/Anyone:

My Acer Laptop lost its panel "applications"; "places"; "System"; "Shut

Down" panel drop down. Nothing remains to restore. Right clicking does not

pop up a shut down either; but right clicking does come up with options:

"Create Folder, Create Folder, Create Document, Clean up Name, & Change

Desktop Background." Can you mention *a command that I may write into

"terminal" which I can open from the desktop? What terminal fix will

"reconstitute" or

reconfigure the panel with the icon repopulated?

I'd sure appreciate your guidance. [perhaps this resulted from a hyperactive

keyboard, which I guess has something to do with a motherboard issue.]

Kenneth

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Scott Lavender <scottalavender@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Roy Damen <roydamen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Dear John,

>> On my machine i had a similar problem with rt. After more than 1,5 year of

>> searching, trying out and lots of help with explanation on the ubuntuforums

>> i discovered that it was this BIOS setting that must be turned off: IOAPIC

>> It seems that ubuntu can manage *this by itself(if i understood correctly) I

>> bet this solves your problem too!

>> 2010/5/7 jONE <producjohns@gmail.com>

>>> *Hi Fernando I've got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ processor too and had

>>> problems with the RT kernel since I first installed 8.04 onwards. I tried

>>> pretty much everything until a few days ago, when I simply "loaded optimized

>>> settings" on my BIOS and believe it or not, no mouse delay and no hanging at

>>> all. My hammerfall soundcard's delay <10ms recording 16channels. I honestly

>>> don't know what setting in the BIOS messed it up since "optimized settings"

>>> or "default settings" options don't specify much and I've tweaked the thing

>>> so many times I lost track of what the original setting was! Maybe give that

>>> a try?

>>> Good luck!

>>> John

> I remember several years ago there were some problems with peoples systems

> acting sluggish or freezing with the -rt kernel during Hardy. *If I remember

> correctly it had to do with acpi, although I cannot find any of those emails

> on the mailing list.

> However, I did find a Ubuntu Studio review by Dave Phillips that also

> mentions the acpi situation:

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/judgement-day-studio-dave-tests-ubuntu-studio-904

> Also, this 64Studio forum posts discusses it a little more:

> http://www.64studio.com/node/1111

> Hope this helps.

> ScottL

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

End of Ubuntu-Studio-users Digest, Vol 37, Issue 6

Old 05-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Kenneth Koym

Hello Fernando, Scot & John: kindly ignore my earlier request. I learned it's feasible to do a gconftool correction in terminal:
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

Finally,reload panel:

* pkill gnome-panel
it worked and I'm using my laptop again. Thanks again.
Kenneth

Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Kenneth Koym

John, powering off and on would not work. I did not know about "nautilus.. I used a terminal routine which solved my panel repopulation question. Yes, it was gnome related. Many, many thanks! Ken
*

Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Fernando Gomes

Hi all and thanks for the tips. The problem seems to be solved (at
least until now) using the option acpi=off. I'm writing this message
on the rt kernel on the same machine that locked up only a few moments
after booting, now it is working for about one hour, running jack,
ZynAddSubFx, Rosegarden, Hydrogen and Rackarrack. Once again thanks
for your advice.
I've tried to look for a newer bios version for this board but I'm
already using the latest version. How this acpi=off option will impact
on the system performance? I will make some more tests using
alternative acpi configurations tomorrow and I'll let you know the
results.

Best regards

Fernando

Old 05-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Fernando Gomes

I've used the article https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingACPI to try to
debug the ACPI problem, and the results were the following:

acpi=off - Working, as I told in the previous email
acpi=ht - Also working
pci=noacpi - Also working
acpi=noirq - Also working
pnpacpi=off - This is the only one that keep the same problems (slow
mouse, etc.)
noapic - Working
nolapic - Working

So, only the pnpacpi=off has the previous problems. The only
conclusion I can get is that the problem is not related to the plug
and play code, but I can't figure from the previous results how to
narrow down the problem, since every other variant works.

It also seems that using nolapic I have more processing reported by
the jack control (always using the same applciations open and playing
the same drum track on hydrogen, I have a value between 2.2% and 2.5%
with all the ACPI options except with nolapic where the values are
between 2.6% and 3%

Fernando

Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Hi all,

nice to see that you have found a solution for your install.

I'll keep your excellents tests infos for all the futur users.

Thank's,

Laurent
lprod.org