Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Pat Hannon

Default Taking video off camcorder tapes

How do I upload a camcorder tape to my computer? I want to upload video
I took with my camcorder to the computer. It is not on a memory card.
What do I need to do and what program?
Thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Rolf Krüger

Hi Pat,

On 04.05.2010 21:46, Pat Hannon wrote:
> How do I upload a camcorder tape to my computer? I want to upload video
> I took with my camcorder to the computer. It is not on a memory card.
> What do I need to do and what program?
> Thanks

I use a firewire-cable to connect my CamCorder (MiniDV) to the PC and
grab the videos using dvgrab - works smoothly. I guess some
video-editing-app (kinoDV or thelike) should have a GUI for dvgrab as
well. If your CamCorder or PC do not have a firewire-connector, maybe it
has USB? Otherwise you may be nailed ;-) I don´t know, if there are
devices which can be used as some kind of a MiniDV-TapePlayer ... I
guess, google would do a great job to deliver first facts. Anyway it
might be of interest, to know what type of CamCorder you have and what
are the connection-capabilities of your computer ...

Regards
Rolf

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Hi Pat,

What's inside your camcorder ?

Tape (mini-dv), or Tape (VHS)
Disk (DVD-/+R/RW)

The connexion to PC, and the grabbing of the video depends of the type
of your camcorder.

Laurent

Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Pat Hannon

The camcorder is a Sony handycam CCD-TRV59E PAL.
It only has/uses 8mm tapes.
It has a S Video out jack
It has a A/V out jack
It has a RFU dc out (RFU adaptor DC output) jack.

I have a A/V out cable with two male fittings on the end which fits in
the A/V out jack
I have a S Video cable with a male connection each end.

The connection to the PC is a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator.

I do _not_ have a video card in the computer but can put one in if need be.
There is no firewire connection on the handycam and my PC.

I have also failed to do this with Windoze XP.

Many thanks for the help so far.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Patrick Gleason

In my experience these types of cameras need some sort of DV passthrough that converts the analog signal to a digital one.

On May 6, 2010, at 2:54 PM, Pat Hannon wrote:

> The camcorder is a Sony handycam CCD-TRV59E PAL.
> It only has/uses 8mm tapes.
> It has a S Video out jack
> It has a A/V out jack
> It has a RFU dc out (RFU adaptor DC output) jack.
>
> I have a A/V out cable with two male fittings on the end which fits in
> the A/V out jack
> I have a S Video cable with a male connection each end.
>
> The connection to the PC is a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator.
>
> I do _not_ have a video card in the computer but can put one in if need be.
> There is no firewire connection on the handycam and my PC.
>
> I have also failed to do this with Windoze XP.
>
> Many thanks for the help so far.
>
> Pat
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> What's inside your camcorder ?
>
> Tape (mini-dv), or Tape (VHS)
> Disk (DVD-/+R/RW)
>
> The connexion to PC, and the grabbing of the video depends of the type
> of your camcorder.
>
> Laurent
>
> Pat Hannon wrote:
>> How do I upload a camcorder tape to my computer? I want to upload video
>> I took with my camcorder to the computer. It is not on a memory card.
>> What do I need to do and what program?
>> Thanks

Patrick Gleason
GV: (810) 373-2021
Cell: (810) 772-6624

Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Erik Rasmussen

That's correct. *If the video camera has no firewire or USB output, then you have to use something else to digitize it and send it to the PC. *Years ago on Windows, we used a stand-alone device to digitize the analog video signal and encode it to the computer. *We also had video cards which incorporated this capability, but they also relied on special software to do this. *Never tried them with Linux though.*

You can still buy stand-alone devices and probably video cards that do such a thing (not sure how Linux friendly they'd be), but you might be just as well off (and possibly achieve the same quality) if you plug the OUTPUT from your Sony HandyCam to the INPUT of a digital video camera which has your Analog INPUT and a digital (firewire or USB) OUTPUT. *

So you plug the OUT from your camera to the IN of a digital video camera and the IEE1394 or USB 2.0 OUTPUT of the digital camera to your computer. *Some cameras will allow you to instantly pass that digital video signal directly through to your computer, without having to record it to the digital camera first.

You'd want to test it first, before buying a camera just for this purpose, because not all of them can simultaneously take input and immediately pass digital output. *I've done this in the past, but I've noticed that there are many cameras today which cannot simultaneously handle input and immediately pass through digital output.

-Erik

In my experience these types of cameras need some sort of DV passthrough that converts the analog signal to a digital one.

On May 6, 2010, at 2:54 PM, Pat Hannon wrote:

> The camcorder is a Sony handycam CCD-TRV59E PAL.

> It only has/uses 8mm tapes.

> It has a S Video out jack

> It has a A/V out jack

> It has a RFU dc out (RFU adaptor DC output) jack.

> I have a A/V out cable with two male fittings on the end which fits in

> the A/V out jack

> I have a S Video cable with a male connection each end.

> The connection to the PC is a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator.

> I do _not_ have a video card in the computer but can put one in if need be.

> There is no firewire connection on the handycam and my PC.

> I have also failed to do this with Windoze XP.

> Many thanks for the help so far.

> Pat

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> What's inside your camcorder ?

> Tape (mini-dv), or Tape (VHS)

> Disk (DVD-/+R/RW)

> The connexion to PC, and the grabbing of the video depends of the type

> of your camcorder.

> Laurent

> Pat Hannon wrote:

>> How do I upload a camcorder tape to my computer? I want to upload video

>> I took with my camcorder to the computer. It is not on a memory card.

>> What do I need to do and what program?

>> Thanks

Patrick Gleason

GV: (810) 373-2021

Cell: (810) 772-6624

Old 05-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Brian Rich

Or do what I do to get my old analog tapes into digital: play them into a DVD recorder (I got one for less than $80). Then rip the DVD. This way, the family can watch all that raw footage to their hearts' content on DVD, and I can proceed with editing it.

In fact, I use the family to find scenes that are important and/or unusual. I certainly don't want to watch all those hours of tape myself!
(A little Social Engineering)
*

Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Pat Hannon

Many thanks for the help and advice on this thread. It was a learning
curve for me and I have learned a lot thanks to all in this users
group.

Pat Hannon