Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default update ubuntu studio package list page?

(forgive what will probably be one of many nitpicky observations as
i claw my way thru ubuntu studio as a beginner.)

from the main wiki page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio

there's a link to the package list here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList

but that list can't be up-to-date since it was apparently last edited
in early 2009.

rday

Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Scott Lavender

* (forgive what will probably be one of many nitpicky observations as

i claw my way thru ubuntu studio as a beginner.)

* from the main wiki page:

* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio

there's a link to the package list here:

* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList

but that list can't be up-to-date since it was apparently last edited

in early 2009.

rday

Robert,

I would suggest that users start with the help.ubuntu pages:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

This seems to be geared more towards users, at least to me.* And it certainly looks prettier

As far as the applications, please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Applications

I have taken pains attempting to keep this up to date.* I hope you find it useful.

Lastly, I appreciate your nitpicky-ness.* That attention to detail and willingness to point out discrepancies is needed.* Have you considered helping the developers?* Reviewing the documentation may seem a trivial task but can greatly improve Ubuntu Studio overall.

Thanks again,
ScottL

Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Eric Hedekar

[...]

I would also like to add that the pages pointed out are on the wiki so
it's perfectly kosher to edit/update it as appropriate to reflect
current applications.* That is as long as you're confident enough in your own knowledge to publish it.

- Eric Hedekar

Old 05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
teza

Hi Scott, thanks for the links, there's maybe one thing who could be
done and vill be very useful, it's to have a page with all the hardware
who are working out the box or very well with Ubuntu Studio, sound
card, midi keyboard, mix table and so on. What do you think?
Thank for the work done.
Best Regards.
Teza

.................................................. ......................................
Le 04/05/2010 22:54, Scott Lavender a crit :

Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Ricardo Lameiro

there are wiki pages.
Anyone can make pages and edit them.

I added some info to this page i found

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsSoundCardsRoland

I have 2 edirol boards, the UA-4fx and the FA101.

The WIKI exist to share info and do colaborative work.

Hi Scott, thanks for the links, there's maybe one thing who could be

done and vill be very useful, it's to have a page with all the hardware

who are working *out the box or very well with Ubuntu Studio, sound

card, midi keyboard, mix table and so on. What do you think?

Thank for the work done.

Best Regards.

Teza

.................................................. ......................................

Le 04/05/2010 22:54, Scott Lavender a crit :

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Robert P. J. Day

> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca <mailto:rpjday@crashcourse.ca>> wrote:

> * * * (forgive what will probably be one of many nitpicky observations as

> * * i claw my way thru ubuntu studio as a beginner.)

> * * * from the main wiki page:

> * * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio

> * * there's a link to the package list here:

> * * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList

> * * but that list can't be up-to-date since it was apparently last edited

> * * in early 2009.

> * * rday

> Robert,

> I would suggest that users start with the help.ubuntu pages:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio

> This seems to be geared more towards users, at least to me. *And it

> certainly looks prettier

> As far as the applications, please see:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Applications

> I have taken pains attempting to keep this up to date. *I hope you

> find it useful.

> Lastly, I appreciate your nitpicky-ness. *That attention to detail and

> willingness to point out discrepancies is needed. *Have you considered

> helping the developers? *Reviewing the documentation may seem a

> trivial task but can greatly improve Ubuntu Studio overall.

> Thanks again,

> ScottL

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro

Old 05-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Scott Lavender

Hi Scott, thanks for the links, there's maybe one thing who could be

done and vill be very useful, it's to have a page with all the hardware

who are working *out the box or very well with Ubuntu Studio, sound

card, midi keyboard, mix table and so on. What do you think?

Thank for the work done.

Best Regards.

Teza

Greetings Teza,

I agree that having documentation about hardware that "just works" with Ubuntu Studio would be very helpful and information.* Especially to someone who wants to get into Ubuntu Studio or even upgrade their hardware.

As Ricardo said, the wikis are available for users not only to view but to also create.* If anyone feels reasonably confident about the information they are documenting then I would encourage everyone to do so.* Please be respectful of other's work and try to avoid destructive edits if possible.

I would stress that all users are empowered to help improve Ubuntu Studio.* Whether that is reporting bugs, testing ISOs, advocacy or updating/creating documentation.* We as users can do all these things.* The only thing required for documentation is an account to edit/create pages on help.ubuntu.com or wiki.ubuntu.com.

This would even be a great project for a LoCo.* At one meeting everyone get together and create a wiki page and list everyone's hardware that works along with their Ubuntu Studio version!

But I will also make a special offer as well.* If you (and anyone) will either respond to this mailing list or email me directly ( scottalavender@gmail.com with "Ubuntu Studio Hardware" as the Subject) I will add this information into a wiki myself.* Just tell me what hardware you have that "just works" with Ubuntu Studio and which version of Ubuntu Studio you are running.

Thank you again Teza for not only using Ubuntu Studio but emailing the list.

ScottL

Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Kenneth Koym

Hello :
� Anyone re no sound. I upgraded to Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 this 64bit amd. Toogled all I see and get no Sound. No tests or diagnosis brings it out. Had it at least temporarily with 9.10 & a last minute 9.10 update before upgrading. Am puzzled; even followed the logic at

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome
and now questioning the basics.
�Warm Regards,
Ken