Old 04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
mischa falkenburg

Default Trouble with wireless setup

Hi, I am writing this via my Xubuntu (9.04) installation, but I've also
installed Studio (8.04) on this box so I'll have my choice in Grub.
OK, the install went alright...except it wouldn't detect any network
stuff, etc.
So, it appears to be a functioning install, but I'm unable to get the
wifi network connection going...even with it set to DHCP. Is it because
of the difference in the versions? Does 8.04 have a "problem" because
it's 8.04 instead of 9.04?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Mischa

Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Rolf Krüger

Hi Mischa,

AFAIK (well, remember, at least :-) there have been some changes to the
wireless-stuff between 8.04 and 9.04. It was around that time
(8.04 i guess) that I also had trouble getting my notebook
connected to WiFi. With newer installations I never had that
trouble again. I would really give the latest stable of UbuStu a try.
Have it here on a parallel installation, too and did not see one single
problem yet ...

But I would suggest to ask google about your specific problem before
dropping a "working" installation - bet you had your reasons, why
you have installed 8.04 ...

regards
rolf

Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
mischa falkenburg

Rolf Krüger wrote:
> Hi Mischa,
>

> AFAIK (well, remember, at least :-) there have been some changes to the
> wireless-stuff between 8.04 and 9.04. It was around that time
> (8.04 i guess) that I also had trouble getting my notebook
> connected to WiFi. With newer installations I never had that
> trouble again. I would really give the latest stable of UbuStu a try.
> Have it here on a parallel installation, too and did not see one single
> problem yet ...
>
> But I would suggest to ask google about your specific problem before
> dropping a "working" installation - bet you had your reasons, why
> you have installed 8.04 ...
>

> regards
> rolf
>
> mischa falkenburg wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am writing this via my Xubuntu (9.04) installation, but I've also
>> installed Studio (8.04) on this box so I'll have my choice in Grub.
>> OK, the install went alright...except it wouldn't detect any network
>> stuff, etc.
>> So, it appears to be a functioning install, but I'm unable to get the
>> wifi network connection going...even with it set to DHCP. Is it because
>> of the difference in the versions? Does 8.04 have a "problem" because
>> it's 8.04 instead of 9.04?
>> Any help greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Mischa

Hi Rolf,
To be honest about it, the only reason I tried to use 8.04, is that it's
what I have available on a DVD. I haven't done an extensive search, but
so far all I've seen out there for download is 8.04.
( I did have a different box that had a more recent version...but it
already had a working wifi connection!) Any chance you (or someone else)
could provide a link to something more recent?

Thanks again, Mischa.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Rolf Krüger

mischa falkenburg schrieb:
> To be honest about it, the only reason I tried to use 8.04, is that it's
> what I have available on a DVD.

well, ok, must have been something like that :-) Reminds me back on the
days, when i had a 64k-internet-connection :-)

> I haven't done an extensive search, but
> so far all I've seen out there for download is 8.04.
> ( I did have a different box that had a more recent version...but it
> already had a working wifi connection!) Any chance you (or someone else)
> could provide a link to something more recent?

Of course, what about this?
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Ubuntu_Studio

Have phun!
rolf

Old 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Scott Lavender

Hi, I am writing this via my Xubuntu (9.04) installation, but I've also

installed Studio (8.04) on this box so I'll have my choice in Grub.

OK, the install went alright...except it wouldn't detect any network

stuff, etc.

So, it appears to be a functioning install, but I'm unable to get the

wifi network connection going...even with it set to DHCP. Is it because

of the difference in the versions? Does 8.04 have a "problem" because

it's 8.04 instead of 9.04?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mischa

network manager was not installed by default in Hardy 8.04.* This was a conscious decision by the developers.

If you do not have it installed you might try that first.

Some have reported having to turn on "roaming mode" also.

Here is a link that might help:

ScottL

Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 AM
mischa falkenburg

Rolf Krüger wrote:
> mischa falkenburg schrieb:
>
>> To be honest about it, the only reason I tried to use 8.04, is that it's
>> what I have available on a DVD.
>>

> well, ok, must have been something like that :-) Reminds me back on the
> days, when i had a 64k-internet-connection :-)
>

>> I haven't done an extensive search, but
>> so far all I've seen out there for download is 8.04.
>> ( I did have a different box that had a more recent version...but it
>> already had a working wifi connection!) Any chance you (or someone else)
>> could provide a link to something more recent?
>>

> Of course, what about this?
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Ubuntu_Studio
>
> Have phun!
> rolf

Phun would be nice...but in English, please. My German is beyond rusty. ;-)
Mischa

Old 04-15-2010, 12:53 AM
mischa falkenburg

Scott Lavender wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM, mischa falkenburg
> <because_productions@myfairpoint.net
> <mailto:because_productions@myfairpoint.net>> wrote:
>
> Hi, I am writing this via my Xubuntu (9.04) installation, but I've
> also
> installed Studio (8.04) on this box so I'll have my choice in Grub.
> OK, the install went alright...except it wouldn't detect any network
> stuff, etc.
> So, it appears to be a functioning install, but I'm unable to get the
> wifi network connection going...even with it set to DHCP. Is it
> because
> of the difference in the versions? Does 8.04 have a "problem" because
> it's 8.04 instead of 9.04?
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Mischa
>

> network manager was not installed by default in Hardy 8.04. This was
> a conscious decision by the developers.
>
> If you do not have it installed you might try that first.
>
> Some have reported having to turn on "roaming mode" also.
>
> Here is a link that might help:
>
> ScottL
How to install NM w/out 'net connection? Is it possible to "pull" it off
a more recent disk of Ubuntu?

Mischa

Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Scott Lavender

Network Manager was not installed but should have been included on the
DVD. Make sure you the cd/DVD selected in hour software sources.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 14, 2010, at 7:53 PM, mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net

Old 04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Erik Rasmussen

I've had very good success with WICD (Wireless*Interface*Connection*Daemon), instead of using the default Network Manager. *(It handles both wireless and wired connections.)

You can download the .deb file here

http://downloads.wicd.net/pkgs/stable/1.6.x/1.6.2/
(http://downloads.wicd.net/pkgs/stable/1.6.x/1.6.2/xUbuntu_9.04/wicd_1.6.2_all.deb)

(http://downloads.wicd.net/pkgs/stable/1.6.x/1.6.2/xUbuntu_8.10/wicd_1.6.2_all.deb)

If you're connected, you can install it on Ubuntu as follows...=====================

Installing Wicd in Ubuntu
If you are using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), Wicd 1.5.9 is in the universe repository, so a simple*sudo apt-get install wicd*will do it. If you want the latest version of Wicd when it comes out, though, you'll need to add the Wicd repository. Jaunty users who need to download the Wicd deb package can grab it from*Ubuntu's Universe repository.

Non-Jaunty versions of Ubuntu (Intrepid, Hardy, etc) or Jaunty users who want the latest updates will have to add the Wicd repository to the Ubuntu package manager. To open the package manager in Gnome, go to Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. When it appears, go to Settings > Repositories > Third Party Software > Add..., and enter the following line:

deb http://apt.wicd.net jaunty extraswhere "jaunty" is your version of Ubuntu in lowercase (dapper, edgy, feisty, gutsy, hardy, intrepid, jaunty). You'll also need to add the key used for signing Wicd by running the following command in a terminal:

wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -Now, click Reload, and wait while the package lists are downloaded. Now, search for "Wicd", and right click on it. Select Install, then press Apply, and Wicd will automatically be downloaded and installed for you. This will also keep you automatically up to date with the latest and greatest version of Wicd. Please note that this will remove network-manager, which is the default GNOME network manager and may cause loss of network connection temporarily.

=====================
If you're still looking for Ubuntu Studio you can get 9.10 from here, (but note that 10.4 with Long Term Support is due out in 14 days).

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/9.10/release/

-Erik

Old 04-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Thomas Orgis

Am Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:33:35 -0500
schrieb Erik Rasmussen <MailForErik@GMail.com>:

> I've had very good success with *WICD* (*W*ireless *I*nterface *C*onnection
> *D*aemon), instead of using the default Network Manager. (It handles both
> wireless and wired connections.)

I see that one recommended often... but it really misses certain functionality that is increasingly important for users: Connecting with 3G modems, for example. Or am I wrong here?

Alrighty then,

Thomas.