Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 PM
mac

Default not sure where to ask this question, about the audio production possibilities...

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 01:30 +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Am 29.03.2010 18:20, schrieb Mac McIlvaine:
>

> > Can you actually do destructive editing with Ardour at this point?
> >
> De facto you can. Once your edits and effects are to your liking, you
> can select a part of your audiotrack with the selection-tool and
> rightklick->consolidate with plugins.
>
> I use a german version of Ardour so I do not really know, if the words
> are correct but as a matter of fact you can make Ardour write a new file
> that holds all your edits and FX and that replaces the former recording
> in the track.
>
> This I would consider pretty nearish to reall destructive editig. Still
> Ardour lacks some important offline-Tools like note-detection and most
> important: noise reduction. For these things I open Sonic Visualizer and
> Audacity...
>
> best regs

Hi from the Ardour web page:

Non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo

What you describe above is indeed modifying the recording, I don't
believe it is considered "destructive" editing.

Audacity will allow the wave form to be edited on a per sample basis,
actually changing the value of the sample at will. I believe this is
considered "destructive" editing.

I would be happy to be wrong, but I don't think Ardour allows such
detailed editing of the raw data.

Regards,
Mac

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Mac McIlvaine

At Tuesday, 30 March 2010, you wrote:

>Am 30.03.2010 01:45, schrieb mac:
>> On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 01:30 +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>
>> Hi from the Ardour web page:
>>
>> Non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo
>>
>> What you describe above is indeed modifying the recording, I don't
>> believe it is considered "destructive" editing.
>
>As I said: it comes near the thing, that is known as "destructive
>editing" yet it is not the very same.
>
>> Audacity will allow the wave form to be edited on a per sample basis,
>> actually changing the value of the sample at will. I believe this is
>> considered "destructive" editing.
>
>True: you cannot zoom to the single-sample level in Ardour and thus you
>cannot edit single samples. So, if you need to diminish a single
sample,
>because it is broken, you would need to paint a curve, that manipulates
>ca 20 samples.
>
>Audacity allows such tricks, the question is: what do you need? Having
>an editor, that is completely non-destructive has its charme sometimes,
>especially if you want to use processor-plugins like compressors or
>eqalization. Bit for such things Audacity is a no-go anyways, for it
>cannot play the sound as you set the parameters, you want to apply.
>
>So for special editing-tasks Audacity is only "rivaled" by SND, yet for
>the majority of things you will want to do with recordings, Ardour has
>much more to offer.
>Both are great, free programs and it Audacity would only fit smoothly
>into jack, it would be highly recommendable....
>
>best regs
>
>HZN

I believe this from the wikipedia on the subject describes Ardour's
functionality as a non-destructive editor:

"...non-destructive editing is a form of editing signals where the
original content is not modified in the course of editing - instead
the edits themselves are edited.

A pointer-based playlist ? effectively an edit decision list ? is
used to keep track of edits. Each time the edited audio or video
is played back or accessed, it is reconstructed from the original
source and the EDL. Although this process is more computationally
intensive than rendering each edit, changing the edits themselves
can be almost instantaneous, and it prevents further generation loss
as the audio or video is edited. ..."

While Audacity does have "undo" it does not operate in the manor
described above.

Both great tools, just different.

Mac