Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Tom Poe

Default not sure where to ask this question, about the audio production possibilities...

G L Romeu wrote:
> I have been on the graphics end of computers, everything from photo
> through layout to 3d for cad/cam, and therefore my initial interest in
> studio. I had a past of guitar playing, some electric but the majority
> acoustic. I have both and a small amp.
> Anyway, I teach computer literacy at the Trenton (NJ USA) Area Soup
> Kitchen (in the USA, soup kitchens are non profits providing meals for
> those less fortunate, many being homeless) and am also involved with
> their art group, mostly documenting and archiving their work. There is
> a very involved musical group that meet every week, practice a bit,
> perform here and there, and a couple of the musicians are quite adept.
> They have a minimal amount of instrumentation including a trapset,
> couple sets of keyboards, an electric bass and guitar, as well as an
> acoustic guitar. few microphones as well. i am not sure if there is a
> mixer, but i know that they have amplifiers. they do covers and
> original music.
> It seems that within Ubuntu Studio is a wealth of potential for this
> group, and i would like to get a bit familiar with some key programs,
> learn some of the potential ways of interfacing the instruments and amps
> with the computer and programs, and getting enough knowledge to do an
> effective presentation and get them interested in pursuing a new tool
> for their arsenal. I have gotten a couple of people interested in the
> computer labs with gimp and open office, and i think the paradigm of the
> open source of such quality is perfect for those with musical inclinations.
> I have an older laptop which i am running a dual boot with ubuntu studio
> currently, USB-1 ports, firewire, pcmcia, seriel, pport, network/modem
> and mike/headphone outputs. I have access to an older but not too shabby
> desktop machines (newer than my laptop) that I can also run a dual boot
> for this purpose.
> Does anyone have some programs that i should concentrate on to start
> with, and any other advice? There seems to be so much
> available....thanks, gabriel

Hi: See if you can load Audacity and have it work to record and play
back from an external microphone. Have them record a song and play it
back. That gives you the lowest cost starting point. There are good
tutorials for Audacity to get you started. In April, the next release
is supposed to have LiVES (linux video editor) easily install. Video
cameras should be available from your nearest public access studio.
They also are a good resource for recording and editing television
shows. Much applause for your work.
Tom

Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Hartmut Noack