Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 AM
G L Romeu

Default not sure where to ask this question, about the audio production possibilities...

I have been on the graphics end of computers, everything from photo
through layout to 3d for cad/cam, and therefore my initial interest in
studio. I had a past of guitar playing, some electric but the majority
acoustic. I have both and a small amp.
Anyway, I teach computer literacy at the Trenton (NJ USA) Area Soup
Kitchen (in the USA, soup kitchens are non profits providing meals for
those less fortunate, many being homeless) and am also involved with
their art group, mostly documenting and archiving their work. There is
a very involved musical group that meet every week, practice a bit,
perform here and there, and a couple of the musicians are quite adept.
They have a minimal amount of instrumentation including a trapset,
couple sets of keyboards, an electric bass and guitar, as well as an
acoustic guitar. few microphones as well. i am not sure if there is a
mixer, but i know that they have amplifiers. they do covers and
original music.
It seems that within Ubuntu Studio is a wealth of potential for this
group, and i would like to get a bit familiar with some key programs,
learn some of the potential ways of interfacing the instruments and amps
with the computer and programs, and getting enough knowledge to do an
effective presentation and get them interested in pursuing a new tool
for their arsenal. I have gotten a couple of people interested in the
computer labs with gimp and open office, and i think the paradigm of the
open source of such quality is perfect for those with musical inclinations.
I have an older laptop which i am running a dual boot with ubuntu studio
currently, USB-1 ports, firewire, pcmcia, seriel, pport, network/modem
and mike/headphone outputs. I have access to an older but not too shabby
desktop machines (newer than my laptop) that I can also run a dual boot
for this purpose.
Does anyone have some programs that i should concentrate on to start
with, and any other advice? There seems to be so much
available....thanks, gabriel
--
G L Romeu
http://studiofurniture.com

Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Mac McIlvaine

At Monday, 29 March 2010, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@linuxuse.de> wrote:

>Am 29.03.2010 16:52, schrieb Brian David:
>> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM, G L Romeu <romeug@comcast.net>
wrote:

>>> I have been on the graphics end of computers, everything from photo
>>> through layout to 3d for cad/cam, and therefore my initial interest
in
>>> studio.
>>
>> *SNIP*
>
>> Many people will recommend Audacity, particularly for beginners.
But trust
>> me, if you plan on getting into Ubuntu Studio and Linux audio
for the long
>> haul, Ardour is the program you'll want to use.
>
>That is absolutely correct! Audacity is a nice Editor but not a capable
>recorder/arranger. Ardour has all, one needs to work fluently and with
>minimum limitations with musicians, that simply want to record and
>arrange/mix music. And it can do everything you would do with Audacity
>as well. Thanks Jack you can even run Ardour synched to a videoplayer
>and thus work on soundtracks as the big boys would do ;-)
>
>> Speaking of Ardour, I noticed there's a good change they won't
reach their
>> fundraising goals over at Ardour.org this month. So, as a reminder
to all
>> you audio enthusiasts: If you're on this list and you use Ardour
regularly
>> and you're not a subscriber, you should seriously consider supporting
the
>> program financially.
>>

>I second that strongly. Go for it and tell your friends :-)
>
>--

>studio-users

Can you actually do destructive editing with Ardour at this point?

Mac