Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Khalid Said

Default access root terminal ??

Hi All

I am a new user to the linux world so please forgive me for my stupid question . I installed ubuntu studio karmic and I'd like to know how to open the root terminal because I can't see it in ubunt menu

thank you,

Old 03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Christopher Stamper

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Khalid Said <kifcaliph@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi All

I am a new user to the linux world so please forgive me for my stupid question . I installed ubuntu studio karmic and I'd like to know how to open the root terminal because I can't see it in ubunt menu

Open the regular terminal, and do 'su' (no quotes). That gets you running as the super user/root.

Or you could (and should) run as yourself, and just append the commands with 'sudo': this gives them root privileges (assuming that you are a privileged user).

--
Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Skype: cdstamper

Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Tony

Hi Khalid

What I do is open an ordinary terminal, and then type

sudo bash

after you have entered your own password, you will have a root terminal
with the hash prompt. You can do the same to run any program as root. So
if I need to edit a root owned file, I enter, for example

sudo gvim /etc/configfile

--
Regards Tony Flavell

tony@millfieldsoftwareservices.co.uk

Home: +44 1759 318608
Mobile: +44 789 795 8718
Skype: tonyflavell

Old 03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Teza

Hi, open a terminal via menu, and type sudo su, your password and
you're root** #

Regards

Tez@

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000