-   -   sharing some UbuntuStudio experience (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/340961-sharing-some-ubuntustudio-experience.html)

Roy Damen 03-13-2010 08:15 AM

sharing some UbuntuStudio experience

Hello people,
There are no real problems with me and UbuntuStudio at the moment. I just want to let you know that i'm happy that it's weekend and therefore go´ng to create a new tune in a minute with my ßlmost perfect pre-install of 10.04. When i had configured Karmic for audio i noticed that the audiosoftware was very unstable on my machine. Way more than my co´nstallation of 9.04 so after a few try-overs i decided to upgrade the Karmic to Lucid (64bit-rt). When in the beginning of the delevopement the whole system where mainly loose ends, but audio was running smoothly! Now i finally have the whole Jacksetup automated for my use: i play the guitar; grab a mic with it; make a beat-sound with the mouth(if i.e.hydrogen won't listen immediately);sooperloop it;mix with freqtweak(seperate connection in Jackeq on monitor out in case of failure sound won't stop!); press button on Timemachine and then some terrornoise is easily created and sometimes useful, beautiful things..

I hope this will help some people to get good use of their tools. Also i hope it won't take long anymore when the programs go beyond version 1.0 At this moment i can not beleive there is anyone performing live with UbuntuStudio: connectiondropouts are unacceptable in a livesession(for the public). And it is too bad that LMMS is working way better on a windowsplatform(!?) and that it is not running ok with Jack. Maybe there is another tool with a pianoroll that can load samples, but i can't find it. Well i did find it: The Christmas edition of Hydrogen allows independent pitch-control, so i installed that in stead of the UbuntuStudio version. Now i can even program basslines in Hydrogen. Sorry for that but you leave me no other choice, perhaps i missed out a thing?

Thumbs up for Rakarrack! The sound is so good(after a little tweaking) that you might as well bring your laptop on stage and leave the guitareffectsprocessor at home, or maybe sell it.. Stability is about 100% ok here.

I have even convinced some friends now to get UbuntuStudio, there is only one thing i can't understand: Why there isn't just a litte setup-script for setting up rt-audio. I will try to make this myself and test it on several machines. Then maybe it will be implemented in a next version so that any newcomers won't get scared off anymore.. To be honest it took me 2 years to figure out the errormessages in qjackct l- i didn't know where to search. Now that i have it up and running with a stable latency of 8msec(did not tune hd jet) i want to create a new tune each day and also share my knowledge with others.

Greetings from a happy UbuntuStudio user,

Roy Damen