Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Lars-Erik Helander

Default Kernels for low latency/real time environments

Do your kernel packages provide corresponding modules for aufs so that
it could be used with Live CD/USB systems?

/Lars

Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Lars-Erik Helander

Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Sean McNamara

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani <abogani@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For those who are interested I have placed two new kernels
> (-lowlatency and -realtime) into my PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa
>
> The -lowlatency kernel contains a more aggressive configuration to
> reduce latency than the -preempt one. But like -preempt it doesn't
> contain any code changes (so both start from the same -generic source
> tree).

Do you offer any low latency setups that do not use the fully
preemptible kernel option?

As of Catalyst 10.2, the fglrx proprietary ATI kernel module will
"BUG" out on a fully preemptible kernel under certain circumstances.
Of course, it is ATI's fault that their driver is not designed to
handle a fully preemptible kernel, but it does work with voluntary
preemption.

I realize that full preemption is a very significant step towards
lower latency for things like audio, but are there any alternative
configurations that can result in some degree of lower latency on
systems that are forced to use fglrx for a decent experience (e.g.
Radeon HD5000 series)?

Thanks,

Sean

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Alessio Igor Bogani

Hi,

2010/3/12 Lars-Erik Helander <lehswe@gmail.com>:
> Do your kernel packages provide corresponding modules for aufs so that
> it could be used with Live CD/USB systems?

The -lowlatency kernel provide the same modules of -generic one: so
aufs should be in it.
The -realtime kernel provide what _vanilla_ linux kernel provide: so
aufs module isn't in it.

Ciao,
Alessio

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Alessio Igor Bogani

Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Alessio Igor Bogani

Hi,

2010/3/12 Sean McNamara <smcnam@gmail.com>:
> Do you offer any low latency setups that do not use the fully
> preemptible kernel option?

I suppose that you meant PREEMPT_RT.

> I realize that full preemption is a very significant step towards
> lower latency for things like audio, but are there any alternative
> configurations that can result in some degree of lower latency on
> systems that are forced to use fglrx for a decent experience (e.g.
> Radeon HD5000 series)?

The -preempt and -lowlatency kernels should be a good candidates.

Ciao,
Alessio

Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Maurizio

Ciao Alessio,

Mi dovresti dare una mano dato che ho aggiornatodue sistemi e non ho piu' nessun icon sul desktop.

Il mio laptop is a acer 32 bit.

ho la connessione alla rete e la console.

il tuo aiuto !

Grazie

Maurizio Gramigni

Florida