Old 03-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default How to record faint sound from the Mic input?

I need to record a phone conversation, but the sound from the Mic
input is so weak that recording and playing back in Audacity I hear
almost nothing. How can I either boost the playback or (even better)
boost the input so that the file is recorded in a hearable way?

Kubuntu 9.10. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Thomas Fisher

On Saturday 06 March 2010 10:36:38 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I need to record a phone conversation, but the sound from the Mic
> input is so weak that recording and playing back in Audacity I hear
> almost nothing. How can I either boost the playback or (even better)
> boost the input so that the file is recorded in a hearable way?

> Dotan Cohen

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Hi Dotan
When you load the audio file into a audio editor you can amplify the signal.
In Audacity:
--> Effect ----> amplify ---> opens a window ---> enter the amount you wish
to boost the signal.

{ Amplify} will probably be towards the top of available selections.
I use a Zoom digital recorder, in which I purposefully have the gain set low
in order to minimize noise during recording. When I bring that recording into
the audio editor and amplify the signal.

Hope this is of use.
Tom

Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Tommy yeah

Hi Dotan, A way I overcame the same problem was by splicing directly into the phone. I had a 1/4 inch trs cable the had one end that was ripped off. Of course it wasn't a cell phone as they are much harder to take apart and much more expensive, but if it is a landline it's quite easy. Just take the phone apart and connect the 1/4 inch cable to the + and - wire's connected to the speaker in the phone. You should get a nice and hot signal that way.

Hope that helps,
Tommy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Hi Dotan, A way I overcame the same problem was by splicing directly into
> the phone. I had a 1/4 inch trs cable the had one end that was ripped off.
> Of course it wasn't a cell phone as they are much harder to take apart and
> much more expensive, but if it is a landline it's quite easy. Just take the
> phone apart and connect the 1/4 inch cable to the + and - wire's connected
> to the speaker in the phone. You should get a nice and hot signal that way.

And with 48 volts when it rings (or call waiting), that will likely
damage the laptop doing the recording.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Kenneth Koym

Hi anyone:

on ubuntu karmic 9.10 amd 64, having downloaded the wireless firmware
for my acer laptop 5517 on the broadcom 4312 chip, I am asking, does
anyone know what steps I should use to give me an internal wireless
capability.

I'd like to light
up an internal capability.

Many thanks from Kenneth.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 AM

Sorry to be so late responding, Dotan, but I think your problem may be simpler than you think. Use the LINE input, not the MIC input. You should get much better results. If it's still not a strong enough signal, you may need a small pre-amp -- but I don't think you will. If the LINE IN jack is already in use, you'll need a mixer and possibly a pre-amp as well.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Old 03-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 14 March 2010 14:28, <the.peregrine@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Sorry to be so late responding, Dotan, but I think your problem may be simpler than you think. Use the LINE input, not the MIC input. You should get much better results. If it's still not a strong enough signal, you may need a small pre-amp -- but I don't think you will. If the LINE IN jack is already in use, you'll need a mixer and possibly a pre-amp as well.

Thanks, Jeff. This is a laptop with only a MIC input.