-   -   Notation Software (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/3367-notation-software.html)

Janne Jokitalo 11-23-2007 04:56 AM

Notation Software

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Of course this all assumes Ubuntu Studio is even concerned with notation. Is
> it? Is this really a big question for your users?

It is, at least for this one user here! :)

But a good question, how big a proportion of our users mind about notating?

--
Jaska

Asmo Koskinen 11-23-2007 06:34 AM

Notation Software

D. Michael McIntyre kirjoitti:
> Anyway, I'll go take a look at mScore now that I upgraded to Gutsy, and will
> be able to compile it now.

Well, I'm not a developer, so I run to this. This machine is Ubuntu 7.10.

Should I install latest alsa from alsa-project?

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download

a. tar.gz

asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0$ cd mscore
asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$ cmake .
-- Looking for doxygen...
-- Looking for doxygen... - found /usr/bin/doxygen
-- Looking for dot tool...
-- Looking for dot tool... - found /usr/bin/dot
found Doxygen
-- configured /home/asmok/mscore-0.7.0/mscore/Doxyfile.in -->
/home/asmok/mscore-0.7.0/mscore/Doxyfile
-- Found Qt-Version 4.3.2
CMake Error: Fatal error: ALSA >= 1.0.0 required
-- Configuring done
asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$

b. svn

asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore/trunk/mscore$ cmake .
-- Looking for doxygen...
-- Looking for doxygen... - found /usr/bin/doxygen
-- Looking for dot tool...
-- Looking for dot tool... - found /usr/bin/dot
found Doxygen
-- configured /home/asmok/mscore/trunk/mscore/Doxyfile.in -->
/home/asmok/mscore/trunk/mscore/Doxyfile
-- Found Qt-Version 4.3.2
CMake Error: Fatal error: ALSA >= 1.0.0 required
-- Configuring done
asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore/trunk/mscore$

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Asmo Koskinen 11-23-2007 06:43 AM

Notation Software

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:
> Well, I'm not a developer, so I run to this. This machine is Ubuntu 7.10.

My bad, I installed some more dev-files...

asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$ cmake .
-- Looking for doxygen...
-- Looking for doxygen... - found /usr/bin/doxygen
-- Looking for dot tool...
-- Looking for dot tool... - found /usr/bin/dot
found Doxygen
-- configured /home/asmok/mscore-0.7.0/mscore/Doxyfile.in -->
/home/asmok/mscore-0.7.0/mscore/Doxyfile
-- Found Qt-Version 4.3.2
Alsa detected.
Depends2: libqt4-core (>= 4.3), libqt4-gui (>= 4.3)
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/asmok/mscore-0.7.0/mscore
asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$

And then...

asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$ make
[ 0%] Generating moc_colorlabel.cxx
[ 0%] Generating moc_aslider.cxx
[ 1%] Generating moc_knob.cxx
[ 1%] Generating moc_panknob.cxx
[ 1%] Generating moc_volknob.cxx
[ 2%] Generating moc_midipanknob.cxx
[--]

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Asmo Koskinen 11-23-2007 06:51 AM

Notation Software

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:
> asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$ make
> [ 0%] Generating moc_colorlabel.cxx
> [ 0%] Generating moc_aslider.cxx
> [ 1%] Generating moc_knob.cxx
> [ 1%] Generating moc_panknob.cxx
> [ 1%] Generating moc_volknob.cxx
> [ 2%] Generating moc_midipanknob.cxx
> [--]

located : context-tex-man-en-mpgraph-temp.ctx ->
located : context-tex-man-en.ctx ->
[100%] Built target man-en
asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$

http://www.arkki.info/howto/MuseScore.png

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

"Luis de Bethencourt" 11-23-2007 07:40 AM

Notation Software

Asmo: you are a little off topic... start a new thread with this.

Michael: please let us know your thoughts about mScore.

It's so sad the free vs propietary war, always ends up with free
losing battles because of money limitations. :(

"if I were a rich man... nah nah nah nah naahh" fiddler on the roof

Luis de Bethencourt

On Nov 23, 2007 8:51 AM, Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen@arkki.info> wrote:
> Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:
> > asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$ make
> > [ 0%] Generating moc_colorlabel.cxx
> > [ 0%] Generating moc_aslider.cxx
> > [ 1%] Generating moc_knob.cxx
> > [ 1%] Generating moc_panknob.cxx
> > [ 1%] Generating moc_volknob.cxx
> > [ 2%] Generating moc_midipanknob.cxx
> > [--]
> >

> located : context-tex-man-en-mpgraph-temp.ctx ->
> located : context-tex-man-en.ctx ->
> [100%] Built target man-en
> asmok@ubuntu:~/mscore-0.7.0/mscore$
>
> http://www.arkki.info/howto/MuseScore.png
>

> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

"Det" 11-23-2007 08:03 AM

Notation Software

D. Michael McIntyre:

> Of course this all assumes Ubuntu Studio is even concerned with notation.
> Is it? Is this really a big question for your users?

Was that a serious question?

Then a serious answer:

Ubuntustudio is cheap. Costs as much to get the image and
the time to install and configure it.

So if you need a workstation for anything about sound, especially
in hobby or the like categories, try that.
That's my call.

The use cases which now involve "sound" are very broad:

1.) Recording MIDI/Audio
2.) creating your own (Demo-)CD. Done technically by appyling 1 plus
mastering.
3.) Playing soft synths (perhaps live, but mostly similar to 1. I think)
4.) Creating jingles and backgrounds for some community live events,
technically identical to 1.
5.) creating your own podcast. Done by 1 plus administering the publication
of the resulting podcast file.
6.) making your own local radio broadcasting service.
Is more live streaming plus playing back jingles and recordings, plus
indeed recording and mastering audio (interviews, reportages a.s.o)
7.) creating soundtracks for selfmade videos (yes, u-studio is more than
sound).
technically similar to 1 plus sync to the video and integrating the
sound track

and now:

8.) Composing your own songs
technically like 1 (midi only), plus printing out the notation to
publish it.
9.) arranging songs for your band, combo, orchestra
identical to 8: technically like 1, plus printing out the score
or parts of it (lead sheet) for your mates.
10.) Trying to pick out melodies or harmonies from recordings, to cover it.
After recording a wave you overlay it with midi tracks, compare it
all and
if satisfied with the result finally print out the notation.
11.) Teaching music to your pupils: Creating exercises in score
plus exporting acoustic examples.
Contrary to 8, the score here may come first.

You see: Although maybe not complete, I immediately found six usecases
without and four with notation involved. (Usecase No 1 is indeed very basic
and part of the others).

Just my 2ct
Det

"gabriel moreira" 11-23-2007 11:48 AM

Notation Software

I donīt know how much people mind about notation on Ubuntu Studio, but iīm sure that most people who works seriosuly in music do need those aplications. I think we must have an complete platform to work with music here, and itīs is something I can see growing nowadays.

This is the reason I withdraw from using other OS* :-)

"D. Michael McIntyre" 11-25-2007 09:30 PM

Notation Software

On Thursday 22 November 2007, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Please, by all means, look at all the good software out there and let
> me know what are your findings and opinions. You are far more
> experienced in this field so I trust your word.

I had hoped to do some big formal review, but I have been surprisingly busy
the last few days, catching up with all the stuff I never have time for now
that I'm working so many hours at my day job.

Quick impressions will have to do.

Between NoteEdit and Canorus, NoteEdit is really the only usable choice at
this time, but Canorus looks very promising as an eventual replacement. They
seem to be addressing all the reasons why I always felt NoteEdit was a
project that had more promise than practical use, but at this time I don't
think I would be doing their project any favors by giving it a thorough
review. They probably know most of what I would point out. They are only at
0.4, and it shows, but I see very promising and encouraging things coming out
of that project so far, and it's one to watch.

mScore certainly makes a better first impression as a notation editor than
Rosegarden. Out of the box, you get a nice looking composition that actually
makes noise. One thing that leaps out at me is they apparently have hard
line breaks, if that's what the glowing green Enter key symbols represent.
Everything about this application seems to be oriented toward drawing music
on a page in a visual way, with a high degree of control over the
presentation, and almost no control over playback reproduction.

They have come a long way since 0.2.x, and this project looks like it might be
our best hope as a GIMP or OpenOffice.org in this category, though I have to
admit that I just don't enjoy using it very much, and I don't think I will be
abandoning Rosegarden anytime soon. It feels too heavy for someone like me,
just like Ardour is too heavy for my taste for audio work.

At this time, mScore wouldn't solve any of the problems I have getting things
done with Rosegarden, but the framework they have in place is very solid, and
well-conceived. Once it is fully fleshed out, this will probably become the
killer free, cross-platform graphical notation app for serious composers who
want a high degree of control.

Though I must admit the more I look at this, I'm not sure if I would ever use
this to solve a problem or not. I can't see switching to mScore for my
notation needs at this time. What it's going to come down to is some future
project that I can't do with Rosegarden, for which mScore saves my day.

Currently the project I have languishing on my desk is sitting there because
our grace notes are broken. On the other hand, mScore doesn't even have
grace notes yet that I can see. So for now, I'm still frustrated.

I also come away with a feeling of warm satisfaction. I think all three of
these are going to be useful in their own way, though I can't imagine myself
using any of these other applications for more than the occasional project
that thwarts me with Rosegarden. I have the speed advantage on my home
territory, because I'm better at most people in the world at pushing
Rosegarden to its notation limits, and getting things done without false
starts. Still, I wonder how that might change once mScore or Canorus are
further along, and deliver on their promises. There are many things that can
be done in Rosegarden, but they are prettier to do in an application
dedicated entirely to notation.

--
D. Michael McIntyre