-   -   UPDATE OFF DVD (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/324781-update-off-dvd.html)

mischa falkenburg 02-12-2010 12:53 AM

UPDATE OFF DVD

Hello.
Is it possible to "upgrade" an existing Ubuntu installation into an
Ubuntu Studio installation utilizing a version of Ubuntu Studio that is
on a DVD (Ubuntu-Studio 8.04.1 i386) ?

I have tried.

When the DVD is loaded into the DVD drive, dvdrecorder opens a file
browser with the following folders:
dists
doc
install
isolinux
pics
pool
preseed
ubuntu(which looks like a shortcut...there is a curved arrow coming off it)

and:
cdromupgrade
md5sum.txt
README.diskdefines

An icon for Software Updates shows in the upper panel. When that is
clicked, there is a window which states: "Cannot install all available
updates"...Some updates require the removal of further software. Use the
function "Mark All Upgrades" of the package manager "Synaptic" or run
"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" in a terminal to update your system completely.

Below this is a list of all the updates that will be skipped.

Closing this reveals a Software Update window: "You can install 290
updates", clicking OK brings up Downloading package files which is then
covered by an Information window that says:
"Please insert the disk labeled: Ubuntu-Studio 8.04.1_Hardy Heron_ -
Release i386 (20080701) in drive /cdrom/"

Clicking OK justs brings up another one, etc.

Placing the DVD in the cdrom drive doesn't read (afaik), and placing it
in the dvdburner is likewise.

This computer is currently not able to access the Internet so that is
why I'm trying this install via disk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks-in-advance,
Mischa

Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus 02-12-2010 04:35 AM

UPDATE OFF DVD

Hi:
Well, in fact with Ubuntu (Studio or not) you should update one by one, it means that, if you're using 8.04 as me, you should upgrade at 8.10, therefore at 9.04 and so... If you have not the DVDs in that order, you should back-up your information and later make a clean update.

The better is to have the /home in a physical partition different from the / mounting point, it lets you to keep your data in a secure*place*even if the system fails. I don't know why you are thinking to update, but if you get your Ubuntu studio 8.04 (by example) running without problems maybe will be better wait few months yet until be ready the Next Version Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx, it's LTS too as the actual 8.04 and the former 6.06.

If you get troubles and need update urgently, without an Internet*connection*I could help u. I've got a trick for it, but it's written in Spanish.
Cheers and luck:
Aradnix

--
lutar e vencer!