-   -   Fwd: Low latency kernel in Lucid (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/320547-fwd-low-latency-kernel-lucid.html)

Jussi Schultink 02-04-2010 09:39 AM

Fwd: Low latency kernel in Lucid

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jussi Schultink <jussi01@ubuntu.com>

Date: Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Subject: Low latency kernel in Lucid

Hi all, I received the following from Alessio regarding the Low latency kernel. Please test and write to the kernel team so we can have this in lucid and make ubuntu studio better!

-----------------------------
I would like to remind you how large the advantages are to have a
-lowlatency kernel flavour.

Providing a lowlatency kernel allows us to have a kernel that is _very_ stable (like -generic because it is the same code without modifications and
only with a different configuration) but with very good performance

out of the box.
Moreover, to have it in the form of a kernel flavour means that it keeps up*to date with the -generic kernel without our intervention.

In this way we can avoid recomending kernel-rt to most of our users thus avoid
it's bugs and its continual trailing version of the generic kernel.

What you can do for help?

1) Test the kernel ( http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~abogani/ ) and write an email to*kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com

with your comments (I hope that they are enthusiastic) (the packages will work on both karmic and lucid, however closed source graphics drivers will not be available)2) Write to email to the above requesting this kernel flavour

3) Write directly to Tim Gardner endorsing it

In short we could also use it as default kernel!

P.s.
If you need of some background:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008385.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008570.html