FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Paul DeShaw
 
Default U-Stu Karmic can't find CD/DVD drive

Greetings,

I finally upgraded from Hardy about a month or two ago.* I now have a multimedia content creation system that cannot read or write optical media.* I consider this sub-optimal.

When I go to Places>cdrom0, a window pops up that says:




Unable to mount cdrom0



mount: special device dev/scd0 does not exist


The drive is an HP dvd840. I can boot live cd's from the device, I used it to upgrade to Karmic.* It worked fine in Hardy.

In my Googling, I came across the same error back in Intrepid--in Launchpad, the bug was closed due to inactivity without being resolved.* I also noted the exact same error being reported for Karmic on the Ubuntu forums; the original poster gave up, but someone then wrote in that he replaced his IDE optical drive with a SATA one, which then worked.* I think it would be better if people could use what they have, either IDE or SATA.* I am willing to file a bug, but first I wanted to see if anyone here has a solution.


What other information do you need to find out what's going on?

Thanks,

Paul




--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
mark
 
Default U-Stu Karmic can't find CD/DVD drive

Hello Paul

I can't promise anything, but I might be able to help. I had a similar
problem once, caused by a system not loading the ata_piix module.

Please can you give us some more info by doing this in a terminal:

sudo su (type your password)
lshw >report
lspci >>report
lsusb >>report (only if your CD drive is on a USB connection)
lsmod >>report
exit (gets you out of super-user mode: important!)

You should now have a file called "report" in your home directory. Have
a quick look at it using "less report" to check that I'm not using Jedi
mind-tricks to make you divulge any sensitive personal information...
then reply to this email with the report attached.

Cheers,
Mark


On 03/02/10 04:11, Paul DeShaw wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I finally upgraded from Hardy about a month or two ago. I now have a
> multimedia content creation system that cannot read or write optical
> media. I consider this sub-optimal.
>
> When I go to Places>cdrom0, a window pops up that says:
>
> *Unable to mount cdrom0
>
> *mount: special device dev/scd0 does not exist
>
> The drive is an HP dvd840. I can boot live cd's from the device, I used
> it to upgrade to Karmic. It worked fine in Hardy.
>
> In my Googling, I came across the same error back in Intrepid--in
> Launchpad, the bug was closed due to inactivity without being resolved.
> I also noted the exact same error being reported for Karmic on the
> Ubuntu forums; the original poster gave up, but someone then wrote in
> that he replaced his IDE optical drive with a SATA one, which then
> worked. I think it would be better if people could use what they have,
> either IDE or SATA. I am willing to file a bug, but first I wanted to
> see if anyone here has a solution.
>
> What other information do you need to find out what's going on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
> *
> *
>


--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 02-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Paul DeShaw
 
Default U-Stu Karmic can't find CD/DVD drive

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010, mark <mark@aktivix.org> wrote:<snip>

*Please can you give us some more info by doing this in a terminal:




sudo su * * * * * (type your password)

lshw >report

lspci >>report

lsusb >>report * *(only if your CD drive is on a USB connection)

lsmod >>report

exit * * * * * * *(gets you out of super-user mode: important!)



You should now have a file called "report" in your home directory...

then reply to this email with the report attached.



Cheers,

Mark

Hello,

Thanks for those magical commands.* I have a very long report--do you need the whole thing?* I can post the entire report if you'd like, but I prefer not to post something so long. Is there anything specific I should look for to pull out?* I did not see anything about cd or dvd or optical in there.*


==Paul





On 03/02/10 04:11, Paul DeShaw wrote:

> Greetings,

>

> I finally upgraded from Hardy about a month or two ago. *I now have a

> multimedia content creation system that cannot read or write optical

> media. *I consider this sub-optimal.

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 AM
mark
 
Default U-Stu Karmic can't find CD/DVD drive

On 04/02/10 05:39, Paul DeShaw wrote:
> I can post the entire report if you'd like, but I
> prefer not to post something so long. Is there anything specific I
> should look for to pull out?

OK, try this first: lsmod |grep ata_piix

If that gives you no output, that'll tell you if you've not got the
right module (driver) loaded.

Mark

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 02-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Paul DeShaw
 
Default U-Stu Karmic can't find CD/DVD drive

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010, mark wrote:



Please can you give us some more info by doing this in a terminal:



sudo su * * * * * (type your password)

lshw >report

lspci >>report

lsusb >>report * *(only if your CD drive is on a USB connection)

lsmod >>report

exit * * * * * * *(gets you out of super-user mode: important!)



...then reply to this email with the report attached.



Cheers,

Mark

Hi,
I got a message saying that report is too long to post to the list; can you give me something specific I can exerpt for you?

--Paul

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM
mark
 
Default U-Stu Karmic can't find CD/DVD drive

Hi Paul,

On 06/02/10 06:25, Paul DeShaw wrote:
> Hi,
> I got a message saying that report is too long to post to the list; can
> you give me something specific I can exerpt for you?
>
> --Paul

If you send the report to me off-list, I'll see what I can do. If
there's anything that other people might learn from, I'll just post the
important parts back to the list, OK?

Mark

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org