Old 11-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Mark Stuart Burge

Default fonts

That's exactly what I am talking about.

Happy thanksgiving all !

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, holotone@gmail.com wrote:

Uhh... Why in the world do you have to remove the fonts? The only time I
even notice that they are there is when browsing foreign language websites,

I think what he's getting at is when you go into a font picker dialog in some
application like, say, the GIMP, and the top 40 or so fonts on the list are
all mysteriously useless things that start with ae_, and all render into one
of about four different typefaces in Latin-based languages.

This seems to be a standard Ubuntu thing for some reason. I have no idea why,
but I suspect whatever this stuff is for, it's not for me anyway.

I'm not trying to change anything. I'm just trying to help explain what I
think the other guy is getting on about here.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM
nepal

Using gutsy.

The rendering of fonts on my screen are pretty horrible. I
have tried enabling anti-aliasing but this has not made
much difference. Is there any way to improve this.

nepal.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
jerry

nepal wrote:
> Using gutsy.
>
> The rendering of fonts on my screen are pretty horrible. I
> have tried enabling anti-aliasing but this has not made
> much difference. Is there any way to improve this.
>
> nepal.

This may help:
http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/hacks/

On the left column double click on Chap 5 X11 and select Hack 53 "Make
your fonts pretty"

Hope this helps.
Jerry

Old 12-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Iuri Malorgio

extract fromhttp://pollycoke.wordpress.com/2007/04/17/migliorare-la-
leggibilita-dei-font-su-ubuntu-feisty/try to install or upgrade these
packages: libcairo2, libxft2 e libfreetype6.then you have to
reconfigure fontconfig$: sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config$: sudo
dpkg-reconfigure fontconfigAt first command you answer: Native; Always;
Nofollow:$: kate ~/.fonts.confand fill in it these rights:<?xml
version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd"
><fontconfig><match target="font" ><edit mode="assign" name="rgba"
font" ><edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"
mode="assign" name="antialias"
system or Xorgbest regardIuri Malorgio

Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 AM
nepal

On Monday 03 December 2007, jerry wrote:
> nepal wrote:
> > Using gutsy.
> >
> > The rendering of fonts on my screen are pretty
> > horrible. I have tried enabling anti-aliasing but this
> > has not made much difference. Is there any way to
> > improve this.
> >
> > nepal.
>
> This may help:
> http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/hacks
>/
>
> On the left column double click on Chap 5 X11 and select
> Hack 53 "Make your fonts pretty"
>
> Hope this helps.
> Jerry

I looked at this reference, but I don't have Gnome so can't
make the changes suggested, there is nothing I can find
within kde that offers the same functions.

nepal

Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Dec 3, 2007 2:29 AM, nepal <nepal.roade@virgin.net> wrote:
> Using gutsy.
>
> The rendering of fonts on my screen are pretty horrible. I
> have tried enabling anti-aliasing but this has not made
> much difference. Is there any way to improve this.
>
> nepal.

Go to System Settings, Click on "Appearance", and then go to the
"Fonts" section. Make sure the anti-aliasing box is checked and then
click the "Configure" button. I use RGB sub-pixel hinting, but you
can experiment to see what you like. Also, you can try forcing a
certain dpi. Please note that you should restart your computer (or at
least the xserver -> Ctl + Alt + Backspace) in order to see the
changes you have made.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Raquel

I'm looking for fonts, like Times Roman, etc, for Etch. I don't seem
to be able to find much Can anyone help?

--
Raquel

Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Tom Rauchenwald

Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> writes:

> I'm looking for fonts, like Times Roman, etc, for Etch. I don't seem
> to be able to find much Can anyone help?

Install the package msttcorefonts (it is in contrib i think) to get
Times New Roman, Arial and so on.
IMO the free alternatives like the DejaVu or Bitstream fonts look
better.

Tom

Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 AM
David

Raquel wrote:

I'm looking for fonts, like Times Roman, etc, for Etch. I don't seem
to be able to find much Can anyone help?

There is the non-free msst corefonts package, but also an open package
which I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

As I understand it, it contains fonts such as times/roman, etc., lookalike.
It could well be worth looking at.
I saw it in the X11 category of the aptitude NCurses interface category,
from memory.

David Palmer
Linux User - #352034

Old 01-13-2008, 04:30 AM
Raquel

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 04:28:27 +0100
Tom Rauchenwald <its.sec@gmx.net> wrote:

> Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> writes:
>
> > I'm looking for fonts, like Times Roman, etc, for Etch. I don't
> > seem to be able to find much Can anyone help?
>
> Install the package msttcorefonts (it is in contrib i think) to get
> Times New Roman, Arial and so on.
> IMO the free alternatives like the DejaVu or Bitstream fonts look
> better.
>
> Tom

Thank you. I forgot to include "contrib" in my sources.list file.

--
Raquel