Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM
lrspares45

Default Sound quality changed by Kdenlive & LiVES

Has anyone else come across this? I have an mp3, recorded with Ardour,
of me playing through BOSS Blues Driver - so far so good.

I then used Kdenlive to create a video, but noticed that Kdenlive had
noticeably cleaned up the sound (taken away some of the fuzz so to
speak), to the extent that the music sounds all wrong. LiVES then did
the same thing! Both have everything at default, i.e. as installed.

Is there a way of making either app leave the sound alone, or is it just
the way it is?

Cheers
Richard

Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Ricardo Lameiro

edit only the video and leave the audio alone.
*
you can use cinelerra or other software for video, it just need to be jack transpoort compatible. then with xjadeo you can sync it with ardour usin jack transport.
This is the most reliable solution if you want full audio quality/control.
*
ARDOUR/XJADEO

Has anyone else come across this? I have an mp3, recorded with Ardour,
of me playing through BOSS Blues Driver - so far so good.

I then used Kdenlive to create a video, but noticed that Kdenlive had
noticeably cleaned up the sound (taken away some of the fuzz so to
speak), to the extent that the music sounds all wrong. LiVES then did
the same thing! Both have everything at default, i.e. as installed.

Is there a way of making either app leave the sound alone, or is it just
the way it is?

Cheers
Richard

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro

Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Hartmut Noack

Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 PM
lrspares45

Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
lrspares45

> > I guess so. But its only guessing: You should never, never ever compress
> > a soundfile to MP3 or ogg if you plan to use it for anything else but
> > listening to it. Always use uncompressed WAV if you export a file to be
> > used in another app.
> > If the same data is compressed twice (first after exporting from Ardour
> > then again if exported from KDEnlive) the sound is bound to suffer.
> > You also should use the samplerate you plan to use in the Video, if you
> > export a file for soundtrack-purposes. 48KHz that is, even the jump from
> > a 44.1-file to 48 produces liestenable artifacts since the missing 400Hz
> > of data need to be interpolated.
> >
> > best of luck, and keep us informed, weather this works or not...
> > :-)

You were right on the money there! Problem solved. If anyone wants to
hear the stunningly indifferent results, they are here.

Just got to re-do the others now :-(

Cheers
Richard

Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 PM
lrspares45

> > I guess so. But its only guessing: You should never, never ever compress
> > a soundfile to MP3 or ogg if you plan to use it for anything else but
> > listening to it. Always use uncompressed WAV if you export a file to be
> > used in another app.
> > If the same data is compressed twice (first after exporting from Ardour
> > then again if exported from KDEnlive) the sound is bound to suffer.
> > You also should use the samplerate you plan to use in the Video, if you
> > export a file for soundtrack-purposes. 48KHz that is, even the jump from
> > a 44.1-file to 48 produces liestenable artifacts since the missing 400Hz
> > of data need to be interpolated.
> >
> > best of luck, and keep us informed, weather this works or not...
> > :-)

Let's try that again.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrJv2dr5CA