Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Default Multi-Channel qSynth?

This might seem like an odd or obvious question, but...

I am using Rosegarden with qsynth. However, I can only get one stereo channel out of qSynth (with jack). When I use the setup dialog in qSynth and configure it for more output channels and groups, it doesn't seem to do anything. What's wrong? I'm inputting 8 MIDI channels, and I want 4 stereo audio channels out, to record with Ardour. Is it possible?

Maybe I should just start several synths and use one for each channel? :-)

Thanks!
--
Christopher Stamper
christopherstamper@gmail.com

http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

Old 01-07-2008, 10:50 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Monday 07 January 2008, Christopher Stamper wrote:
> anything. What's wrong? I'm inputting 8 MIDI channels, and I want 4 stereo
> audio channels out, to record with Ardour. Is it possible?
>
> Maybe I should just start several synths and use one for each channel? :-)

That's about the only way I can think to get there. QSynth lets you run
multiple synth engines on tabs (the icon is a + in the lower left corner),
and... Yes, each engine comes up in QJackCtl with a separate set of outputs.

Off hand, doing it some other way with just one synth engine forking to
multiple outputs would require you to roll up your sleeves and hack some
source code. It just isn't built to do that in its current state. Nothing
else is either. I didn't spend a vast amount of time tinkering, but I don't
see any other viable approach off hand.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
"Christopher Stamper"

So disappointing.... :-(

I'll have to have multible MIDI devices in rosegarden too, one for each qSynth... Right?

Well, thanks anyway!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Christopher Stamper wrote:

> So disappointing.... :-(

Well, I think what you're after is really a weird edge case from the
perspective of FluidSynth (which underlies QSynth and Fluidsynth-DSSI too.)
That application's job is basically to emulate something like a Roland Sound
Canvas in software. How many stereo outputs would you expect to find on
something like a Sound Canvas? Mine only has one, and that's been true for
every hardware MIDI synth I've ever seen, though I haven't seen them all.

I think FluidSynth's behavior is reasonable, under the circumstances.

If nothing else, you might not believe how refreshing it is for me to be
coming to the defense of something other than Rosegarden for once. I don't
really care what you think of QSynth in the end, because I didn't write any
of that, and it's not me you're scorning, so scorn away if you really want
to!

> I'll have to have multible MIDI devices in rosegarden too, one for each
> qSynth... Right?

Correct.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Hey, I like qsynth/fluidsynth!!!

I'd use something else if I didn't like fluidsynth so much!! :-)

Disappointed, still.

On Jan 8, 2008 8:17 PM, D. Michael McIntyre <
michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Christopher Stamper wrote:

> So disappointing.... :-(

Well, I think what you're after is really a weird edge case from the
perspective of FluidSynth (which underlies QSynth and Fluidsynth-DSSI too.)
That application's job is basically to emulate something like a Roland Sound

Canvas in software. *How many stereo outputs would you expect to find on
something like a Sound Canvas? *Mine only has one, and that's been true for
every hardware MIDI synth I've ever seen, though I haven't seen them all.

I think FluidSynth's behavior is reasonable, under the circumstances.

If nothing else, you might not believe how refreshing it is for me to be
coming to the defense of something other than Rosegarden for once. *I don't

really care what you think of QSynth in the end, because I didn't write any
of that, and it's not me you're scorning, so scorn away if you really want
to! *

> I'll have to have multible MIDI devices in rosegarden too, one for each

> qSynth... Right?

Correct.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da Silva

hello list
I remember there being a post a while back about whether qsynth could
support multi-channel output. At the time the answer was that qsynth
could only output 2 channels. Today I found out that's not true, it is
indeed possible to output to more than 2 audio channels in qsynth. I
stumbled upon an older thread in the LAU group that has the answer.
It is as simple as turning off your peak level meters. I did that and
bang! qsynth now outputs to 5 channels (my choice inn the options).

So I hope this is useful for this list as well.

Here's a link to the LAU post:
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2007-March/043971.html