Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Hartmut Noack

Default HELP! Understanding MIDI

Thomas Fisher schrieb:
> The equipment is:
> -Edirol UM-1 ex USB
> -Kawai KC-10 keyboard
>
> The software is:
> -Jack
> -Rosegarden
> -Patchage
> -ZynaddSubfx

> HELP!
> I am stumbling through this midi hookup, which is becoming frustratingly
> obvious to me that I am not comprehending a something about this MIDI hookup.
> I know that it can work in that I accidentally had it all working, once, but
> can't get it working again. The deeper I get into some of the guides, the
> more lost I become.
> Anyone with a straightforward suggestion?

Let us try it:

give jackd/rt is running sufficiently the next stepps should be:

1: connect the edirol and start it with jack
2: connect the kawai and have a look at
qjackctl/connections/MIDI/AlsaMIDI. You may as well use patchage for
that, it is more or less the same as the connection-tab of qjackctl.
3:start zynadd and look, that its output goes to the edirols input in
qjackctl, its MIDI-ports show up in the AlsaMIDI-tab
4:start rosegarden and do a rightklick at the head of the first track
choose "General MIDI device" and hev a look to the area left of the editor.
5: there should be a section named "recording-filter" look, if you can
set device and channel here, now go to the MIDI-panel of qjackctl again
6: if the kawai is listed here as an individual device connect its
MIDI-out to Rosegarden record_in, if not, try MIDI-through of the Edirol

7:arm the track mentioned before for recording and chack, if zyn answers
your keystrokes. If so, you can begin your recording right now, if not,
connect the kawai-out to zynadds in first, only then fiddle with the
"recording-filter"-settings of rg.

You may also have a look at "Manage Midi-devices" in rg's "Studio"-menu.

good luck ;-)

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Neil Jensen

I know for me, when I hook that stuff up most of the needed connections
system wide are already established. On the audio connections in Jack,
my system requires the addition of ports 3 of the system audio to
connect with Qsynth...which I see you haven't mentioned and is
necessary, zynaddsubfx, hydrogen etc..Also I need to coonect my system
audio captures on the "out connections" side with system port 8 on the
"in connections" side. On the alsa menu I need to addmy keyboard ont
the "out" side to rosegarden, record in" on the "in" side. I also need
to connect my keyboard on the "out" side to each of the following on the
"in" side:Zynaddsubfx, Fluidsynth, hydrogen, etc....I don't think I am
forgetting anything. I also didn't know what the Edirol USB piece is
that you described.