Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Tom Rausner

Default digitizer tablet

lÝr, 16 01 2010 kl. 14:55 -0900, skrev Thomas Fisher:

> My experience has been with the Wacom brand. Many of the models are supported,

Thanx. I'll try the url's

--
Tom Rausner

Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 PM
WB

On Jan 16, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Tom Rausner wrote:

Hi Folks.

I need to be able to make drawings dirctly into a program,
and think a digitizer-drawing-pad-thing might do the trick.
But theese things often comes with drivers that only work
with windows. So, I would like to know if any of you have
hands-on-experience using a tool of this kind, with Ubuntu.
(which device, which program, etc.)

Thanx in advance (by the loads)

--
Tom Rausner

Tom,

I just tried this by plugging my Wacom tablet into a fresh Ubuntu
9.10 install. It "just worked," meaning it immediately allowed me to
use the tablet to control the mouse cursor in X. I fired up the
GIMP, opened Preferences-> Input Devices-> Configure Extended Input
Devices and set the device from "Macintosh mouse button emulation" to
"Wacom Graphire3," clicked save and close, and now I seem to have
pressure sensitivity with the paintbrush tool. I'd say it works.

FWIW, the tablet's model number is CTE-430, which I believe is a
Graphire3. It is USB.

I checked Synaptic, and I already had the xserver-xorg-input-wacom
package installed, but not wacom-tools.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Dave H.
/WB

Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Tom Rausner

Hi Dave.

lÝr, 16 01 2010 kl. 16:25 -0800, skrev WB:

> Tom,
>
> I just tried this by plugging my Wacom tablet into a fresh Ubuntu
> 9.10 install. It "just worked," meaning it immediately allowed me to
> use the tablet to control the mouse cursor in X. I fired up the
> GIMP, opened Preferences-> Input Devices-> Configure Extended Input
> Devices and set the device from "Macintosh mouse button emulation" to
> "Wacom Graphire3," clicked save and close, and now I seem to have
> pressure sensitivity with the paintbrush tool. I'd say it works.
>
> FWIW, the tablet's model number is CTE-430, which I believe is a
> Graphire3. It is USB.
>
> I checked Synaptic, and I already had the xserver-xorg-input-wacom
> package installed, but not wacom-tools.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave H.
> /WB

Yes, this helps very much. I was hoping to find something working
'out of the box', and this is sounds like it does. Thanks again.

--
Tom Rausner