Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Mackie Onyx Firewire

Hi all

I recently purchased the Mackie Onyx Firewire option for my Onyx
Mixer. I am running AMD64 Ubuntu Studio 8.04. I got the sound working
fine with jack, but only using Jack..... That is to say, if I go to
Youtube or some site with embedded audio / video I don't have sound.

My previous setup was a M-audio delta 66. I had no problem using that
on web sites.

Am I missing something or does the Onyx only work using jack?

Thanks

Michael Sullivan

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Luke Yelavich

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:25:36AM EST, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I recently purchased the Mackie Onyx Firewire option for my Onyx
> Mixer. I am running AMD64 Ubuntu Studio 8.04. I got the sound working
> fine with jack, but only using Jack..... That is to say, if I go to
> Youtube or some site with embedded audio / video I don't have sound.
>
> My previous setup was a M-audio delta 66. I had no problem using that
> on web sites.
>
> Am I missing something or does the Onyx only work using jack?

Only jack supports firewire audio devices at this time. In order to get sound via the firewire device from youtube etc, you would need to set up alsa using apps to go via the alsa -> jack plugin.

Luke

Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Pablo Fernandez

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Luke Yelavich <themuso@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:25:36AM EST, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> Hi all

> I recently purchased the Mackie Onyx Firewire option for my Onyx

> Mixer. * I am running AMD64 Ubuntu Studio 8.04. *I got the sound working

> fine with jack, but only using Jack..... * *That is to say, if I go to

> Youtube or some site with embedded audio / video I don't have sound.

> My previous setup was a M-audio delta 66. *I had no problem using that

> on web sites.

> Am I missing something or does the Onyx only work using jack?

Only jack supports firewire audio devices at this time. In order to get sound via the firewire device from youtube etc, you would need to set up alsa using apps to go via the alsa -> jack plugin.

Luke

Another solution, imho much better than the alsa-jack plugin, is to "jackify" the flash player.
See at:* http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2323

Pablo
*

Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Michael Sullivan

Pablo Fernandez wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Luke Yelavich <themuso@ubuntu.com
> <mailto:themuso@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:25:36AM EST, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I recently purchased the Mackie Onyx Firewire option for my Onyx
> > Mixer. I am running AMD64 Ubuntu Studio 8.04. I got the sound
> working
> > fine with jack, but only using Jack..... That is to say, if I
> go to
> > Youtube or some site with embedded audio / video I don't have sound.
> >
> > My previous setup was a M-audio delta 66. I had no problem
> using that
> > on web sites.
> >
> > Am I missing something or does the Onyx only work using jack?
>
> Only jack supports firewire audio devices at this time. In order
> to get sound via the firewire device from youtube etc, you would
> need to set up alsa using apps to go via the alsa -> jack plugin.
>
> Luke
>
> Another solution, imho much better than the alsa-jack plugin, is to
> "jackify" the flash player.
> See at: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2323
> <http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2323>
>
> Pablo

Any idea if it works with AMD-64 Ubuntu 8.04? The comments only
referenced 9.10, and one asked about x86-64 with no reply

thanks

Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Michael Sullivan

Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Pablo Fernandez wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Luke Yelavich <themuso@ubuntu.com
>> <mailto:themuso@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:25:36AM EST, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > I recently purchased the Mackie Onyx Firewire option for my Onyx
>> > Mixer. I am running AMD64 Ubuntu Studio 8.04. I got the sound
>> working
>> > fine with jack, but only using Jack..... That is to say, if I
>> go to
>> > Youtube or some site with embedded audio / video I don't have sound.
>> >
>> > My previous setup was a M-audio delta 66. I had no problem
>> using that
>> > on web sites.
>> >
>> > Am I missing something or does the Onyx only work using jack?
>>
>> Only jack supports firewire audio devices at this time. In order
>> to get sound via the firewire device from youtube etc, you would
>> need to set up alsa using apps to go via the alsa -> jack plugin.
>>
>> Luke
>>
>> Another solution, imho much better than the alsa-jack plugin, is to
>> "jackify" the flash player.
>> See at: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2323
>> <http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2323>
>>
>> Pablo
>>

>> --
>>

> Any idea if it works with AMD-64 Ubuntu 8.04? The comments only
> referenced 9.10, and one asked about x86-64 with no reply
>
> thanks

Just installed it - seems to work great!! thanks much!!