Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 PM
jeremaja niko

Default openmusic for ubuntu?

hi all

i was trying to compile open music from ircam
very important tool for composers, but with no luck missing a lot of
libraries and getting a lot of errors.

did somebody menaged to compile for ustudio?
would be perfect to have it installed by default or get it from the
repos (or .deb)
so please, if somebody from "packaging department" have time and lust
meny composers will be happy
http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/repmus/OpenMusic/

thanx and keep a good work
nikola

Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Asmo Koskinen

jeremaja niko kirjoitti:
> but with no luck missing a lot of libraries and getting a lot of errors.

I think it is just too weird for any Linux distro, because nobody has
done it. And they know it too at IRCAM.

"CMUCL is not currently included in common GNU/Linux distributions, so
you will need to install it.

To be able to use Gtk from Common Lisp code, OM relies on clg, the
Common Lisp Gtk bindings originally developed by Espen S. Johnsen. The
original code has been updated to integrate bindings for Gtk canvas plus
some Gtk+ functions that are needed.

On GNU/Linux, OM uses as MIDI layer Midishare
<http://www.grame.fr/MidiShare/>, the MIDI tools developed by GRAME
<http://www.grame.fr>. If MidiShare is not packaged for your
distribution, you must compile and install it."

http://freesoftware.ircam.fr/article.php3?id_article=73

So it uses too much weird stuff here and there.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
"Rich E"

I too would like to get Open Music working, have been waiting for the v5 release on linux for a long time.* But I get cannot yet get clg compiled.* The installation instructions are strange:

*1. Download Thomas Burdick's Alien Function package<B9> and restore it

***** to a directory on your machine.
** 2. Compile the Alien Function package and save a new sbcl.core image:

***** $ cd sbcl-af
***** $ sbcl --load "system"
***** * (sb-ext:save-lisp-and-die "/tmp/sbcl.core")

***** $ cd /usr/local/lib/sbcl
***** $ cp sbcl.core sbcl.core.orig
***** $ mv /tmp/sbcl.core .

I cannot find "Thomas Burdick's Alien Function package" using google and there is no link provided, so I am stuck.. and waiting to see if others have any success.

regards,
rich

Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 PM
"Vedran Vucic"

Hello,
As far as I see on their site it is possible to compile it on winxp and MacOSX
.* I do not see possibility to compile n Linux.
*
Best wishes,
*
vedran
*

<

Old 01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
"Rich E"

Do you mean clg or OpenMusic?* OpenMusic 5 has been awaiting linux compatibility for a couple years now.. but it has always been a problem of getting all the necessary packages installed.

On Jan 7, 2008 4:02 PM, Vedran Vucic <

Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Lord Whorfin

> As far as I see on their site it is possible to compile it on > winxp and MacOSX
> .* I do not see possibility to compile n Linux. * If one can compile it under WinXP, could it then be run under Linux using WINE or other emulation/virtualization software, or is there some incompatibility? If compiled for Mac, would it run under XNU*( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnu*), or could it be compiled *for* XNU? I doubt that the idea of packaging a Windows program that runs under WINE with Ubuntu Studio would be considered a good idea so this suggestion is for individual users. And I know this is running a bit far afield from Ubuntu Studio, but the point is to get the software working under an open source OS, so I'm grasping at straws with my
suggestions. * Whorfin *

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM
"Rich E"

I don't think WINE would be a good option because it is not that stable for audio work.* Also, getting JACK to work with WINE consistently is a problem in itself, and then there is OSC to deal with too.. slightly easier but the real solution would be to get all the libraries compiled under Linux.* I know the IRCAM folks have been trying to do this for a long time now, I doubt they will give up now, even if they can't devote consistent time to Linux.

regards,
rich