Old 01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Paul DeShaw

Default No optical drive with Karmic

Hello,

I cannot play or rip CDs or DVD's, or install updates because of this.

The device is listed in fstab (edited for brevity):

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

cdrom0 is listed under "Places" in the menu. When I try to open it,
here's the error:

Unable to mount cdrom0
mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist

Running updates fails; Synaptic and aptitude ask for the DVD, but
can't read it when I put it in. It also asks for the DVD when I
install packages, but sometimes can install them from the network
anyway; other times the files don't download.

I can boot the computer from this drive with a live DVD. When booted
from the HDD, it disappears. No problem with this device under Hardy.

I posted this problem in Ubuntu forums also, under the name Aurora.
If you want to reply there, it may benefit people not on this list.

Paul in Seattle

Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Gustin Johnson