Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 PM
"J. Simon van der Walt"

Default Reorganise main menus after migrating from Ubuntu?

Hi there, kind of n00b around here...

I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my msi wind clone, and used the instructions
on this page to migrate to ubuntustudio;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Upgrade%20from%20Ubuntu

Mostly this has gone well. However, one of the reasons I wanted to use
studio rather than vanilla was for the very plain bare bones ui. I think I
can probably figure out how to reconfigure the panels and get rid of the
bottom one, but I'm stumped on the menus. How would I get rid of ubuntu's
'Applications', Places and System and use the single no-name menu which
studio uses? So that I have space to put open window tabs at the top instead
of the bottom like studio does it?

Thanks,

--
J. Simon van der Walt ----- Composer
<http://www.jsimonvanderwalt.com>

Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Mark Burge

On 1/2/2010 2:22 PM, J. Simon van der Walt wrote:
> Hi there, kind of n00b around here...
>
> I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my msi wind clone, and used the instructions
> on this page to migrate to ubuntustudio;
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Upgrade%20from%20Ubuntu
>
> Mostly this has gone well. However, one of the reasons I wanted to use
> studio rather than vanilla was for the very plain bare bones ui. I think I
> can probably figure out how to reconfigure the panels and get rid of the
> bottom one, but I'm stumped on the menus. How would I get rid of ubuntu's
> 'Applications', Places and System and use the single no-name menu which
> studio uses? So that I have space to put open window tabs at the top instead
> of the bottom like studio does it?
>
> Thanks,

You can remove the entire menu from the panel by right-clicking on the
menu and 'remove from panel' then right click on the panel and 'add to
panel' and scroll down to 'Main Menu' if you want to put in the single
column menu as per ubuntu default

Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
lrspares45

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 20:22 +0000, J. Simon van der Walt wrote:
> Hi there, kind of n00b around here...
>
> I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my msi wind clone, and used the instructions
> on this page to migrate to ubuntustudio;
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Upgrade%20from%20Ubuntu
>
> Mostly this has gone well. However, one of the reasons I wanted to use
> studio rather than vanilla was for the very plain bare bones ui. I think I
> can probably figure out how to reconfigure the panels and get rid of the
> bottom one, but I'm stumped on the menus. How would I get rid of ubuntu's
> 'Applications', Places and System and use the single no-name menu which
> studio uses? So that I have space to put open window tabs at the top instead
> of the bottom like studio does it?
>
> Thanks,

If you right click on the top panel you can access the panel set up.
Removing the Applications etc menus is easy (I keep doing it by
accident!), but creating a single menu for everything I'm not sure
about.

Cheers
Richard

Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 AM
"J. Simon van der Walt"

Thanks for the answers on this question... turned out to be simple.

JS

Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Ouatsniou?

Hi all !
Weird stuff happened when I tried to upgrade 9.10 with UbuntuStudio using the tutorial @ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Upgrade%20from%20Ubuntu :
Procedure seemed to go ok (no error msg), but I don't see all the installed apps, the Studio themes are not available and I'm not sure the low-latency kernel is installed neither (though I don't really know how to check wich one is in use currently, as I also tried to install it manually from the same tutorial and when rebooting I was not presented with a list of the kernel to picked from as indicated in the tutorial).
Any clue why the upgrade seems incomplete ?
Cheers
Nico-
Ouatsniou?
<ouatsniou@free.fr>