Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Robin Darlington

Default Ubuntu Studio with Xfce or Lxde

Hi everyone,
I am running Ubuntu Studio on an aging laptop (celeron dual core 1.6Ghz, 1gB RAM)* and I am wondering about installing either Xfce or Lxde to try and gain some performance (I am about to start mixing an album and want to be able to use lots of plugins in Ardour). Has anyone tried this and if so what are the results?

Thanks in advance !

Robin

Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Kenneth Koym

Robin: Hold on, I applied Xfce via synaptic package manager and ended up reinstalling 9.10 from scratch as I lost most of the Ubu Stu I had working. Don't know about Lxde. Burn a DVD of your OS using scheme given in an UbuntuForum.org tutorial. This'll let you rebuild easier.

Kenneth *

Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Robin Darlington

Ok,
Thanks.
I have installed xubuntu-desktop, it works fine but I am not noticing a huge difference in performance. (When I have loads of active plugins I start to run out of cpu)
Robin

Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Robin Darlington

Yes I had thought about doing that : bouncing down the drums to a stereo track and so on. The disadvantage is that it then becomes a hassle to go back and change something. As I am not a very experienced mixer it is likely that it will happen to me a lot...* Thanks for the tip though!

Does anyone know if the freeze function in Ardour includes the plugins and their automation ?
I haven't tried it yet but I just thought of it... and I will give it a go.

Robin

Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Gustin Johnson