-   -   Good News! Found some backups! (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/300700-good-news-found-some-backups.html)

Paul DeShaw 12-26-2009 08:26 PM

Good News! Found some backups!

Hello,

I wrote recently about data loss...In my panic, I didn't have the mental capacity to check another drive I have. Happily, lot of that stuff had been saved, in a few different places, in preparation for various re-installs and upgrades.* None of it is newer than, well, whenever Hardy came out, so some more recent recordings are gone. The drive that I erased had been used to back up when I upgraded to Karmic, and some of the MIDI files, Rosegarden files, and various audio files had been restored to my main system drive before the incident.* Anything done in Ardour was on the formatted drive, and I would still like to get those back, if possible.

I need to learn a systematic way to back up files to a drive separate from the one I record onto.* I'm wondering what other people are doing?* And hoping newbies will learn from this incident.

--Paul

Tommy yeah 12-26-2009 08:31 PM

Good News! Found some backups!

Lost Partition
If
you made a mistake while partitioning and the partition no longer
appears in the partition table, so long as you have not written data in
that space, all your data is still there.

GNU Parted
Run Parted from the command line to recover your partition.

When
changing the partition table on your hard drive, you must ensure that
no partition on the disk is mounted. This includes swap space. The
easiest way to accomplish this is to run the live cd. Parted is
installed on the base Ubuntu system. Once at the desktop, open a
terminal and run_:

sudo swapoff -a
Next
run parted and tell it to use the device in question. For example, if
your /dev/sda drive is the drive from which you want to recover, run:

sudo parted /dev/sdaThen, use the rescue option:

rescue START END
where
Start is the area of the disk where you believe the partition began and
END is it's end. If parted finds a potential partition, it will ask you
if you want to add it to the partition table.