Old 12-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Paul DeShaw

Default Formatted wrong drive: recovery possible?

Greetings,

While attempting to make a bootable USB drive, I accidently formatted the hard drive with all my recorded work on it.* Is it lost forever?* Are there people who can recover data in such a case?

The drive does not mount, and Gparted says:

"Unable to detect file system!* Possible reasons are:
-The file system is damaged
-The file system is unkown to GParted
-There is no file system available (unformatted)"

This was the drive I used to back up my main system drive; I didn't have a backup for my backup.

There were no completed projects, but a lot of work-in-progress.* It feels like when somebody dies. Is there any hope?

--Paul in Seattle
*

Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Mark Stuart Burge

On 26/12/09 14:31, Paul DeShaw wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> While attempting to make a bootable USB drive, I accidently formatted
> the hard drive with all my recorded work on it. Is it lost forever?
> Are there people who can recover data in such a case?
I would start by running testdisk on that drive to see if it sees any
partitions.

There are quite a few forensic tools and data recovery tools available
for linux, but you do have to be careful how you proceed.

It should just be a case of letting testdisk find the partition and then
using it to rebuild the table and voila! you have your files back again.

Perhaps someone else out there knows of a better method though.

In any case, if you can, to a 'dd' to a spare drive if you have one, so
a mistake won't be critical.

Good luck

Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Tommy yeah

Dear Paul in Seattle
Yes, there is hope, as most of your data isn't gone at all.
You just need to boot into an Ubuntu LiveCd
this is from the community documentation:
Lost Partition

If
you made a mistake while partitioning and the partition no longer
appears in the partition table, so long as you have not written data in
that space, all your data is still there.

GNU Parted
Run Parted from the command line to recover your partition.

When
changing the partition table on your hard drive, you must ensure that
no partition on the disk is mounted. This includes swap space. The
easiest way to accomplish this is to run the live cd. Parted is
installed on the base Ubuntu system. Once at the desktop, open a
terminal and run_:

sudo swapoff -a
Next
run parted and tell it to use the device in question. For example, if
your /dev/sda drive is the drive from which you want to recover, run:

sudo parted /dev/sdaThen, use the rescue option:

rescue START END
where
Start is the area of the disk where you believe the partition began and
END is it's end. If parted finds a potential partition, it will ask you
if you want to add it to the partition table.
check out this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

Tommy in Pensacola

Old 12-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Paul DeShaw

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 Mark Stuart Burge wrote:

It should just be a case of letting testdisk find the partition and then

using it to rebuild the table and voila! you have your files back again.

Perhaps someone else out there knows of a better method though.

In any case, if you can, to a 'dd' to a spare drive if you have one, so

a mistake won't be critical.

Good luck
Wow, that's a HUGE relief.

Apparently the files are there, and accessible. I need to learn better backup methods.* Could you elaborate on how a 'dd' works?

I say the files are "apparently" there, because Ardour is gone, so I can't test the Ardour sessions.* I did not purposely remove it; I did remove ttf-musescore-fonts-installer, because it never did install completly, and Synaptic kept trying to complete the install everytime I ran it.* I guess it took Ardour with it.* (Though Synaptic says the ubuntustudio-audio metapackage is not installed, so far I've only found Ardour missing.)* Synaptic asks for the install DVD when I try to install either ubuntustudio-audio or Ardour by itself. Same with aptitude in the terminal.* When I originally upgraded to Karmic, I booted into Hardy from my system drive, inserted the Karmic DVD, and ran the upgrade at the prompt...it was reading the DVD/CD drive fine then.* Now it can't seem to find it.

Any idea how to tell Ubuntu where the optical drive is--or for that matter, why it can't install the audio package from the network?* It does install other packages; I just installed disktest not an hour ago.

This is a minor annoyance compared to losing all my work.* I have tested the previously nonworking drive now--Audacious played a file through JACK into my USB audio interface.* I just can't install Ardour and some other packages, or read or write any kind of optical media.* I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul