Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
"alex stone"

Default Informative Ubuntu Studio Thread

Hello Scott.
I'm Alex Stone, and it's, i guess, my thread you're referring to.* I started it with the intent of documenting my journey as a new linux and Ubuntustudio user, and it's, well, grown a bit from there. You've no doubt seen that my intent is to create a professional working environment in linux with the tools we have, including Reaper in Wine. It's been a most enjoyable journey so far, and as you've remarked, a lot of talented and experienced linux users, including a dev or two, have already made important contributions.

And like you, i'm a big fan of StudioDave too. It's his writing, particularly in linux journal that got me interested enough to start this in the first place!
I hope you enjoy, and if any of the info is useful, that's even better. Rest assured the journey is far from over, and i'll be asking questions, and posting my impressions and discoveries for some time yet. As a new user, some of the information will be incredibly basic to the more experienced of you, but i've also had quite a few new users asking questions too, so just maybe it serves a wider purpose* in the promotion of linux as a viable audio/midi production alternative as well.

Finally i need to be fair to the Dev team at Reaper as well, as they've been terrific, and supportive.
A far cry from my past dealings with other commercial entities.

Regards,

Alex Stone.

On Jan 5, 2008 6:14 PM, Scott Lavender <slavender@consolidated.net> wrote:

I am a big fan of Studio Dave. *If you don't know about him, I
believe he is a professional musician and you should definitely read some of
his articles and blogs. *I believe you can find his most current
articles, etc at Linux Journal online:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/800764/track

*

One of his articles talked about a good thread at the Reaper
forums about someone's experience (another professional musician) in
setting up and running Ubuntu Studio (yeah, I know, a
US thread at a Reaper forum…heh).

*

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15238

*

It is a long thread but extremely informative as it talks
about how to compile, install, configure, and/or run various programs under Ubuntu Studio such as:

*

**** * Jack – also mentions
adjusting the priority and setting "soft mode"

****
* Jackdmp

**** * Wineasio

****
* Wine

****
* Reaper

****
* VST/VSTi plugins

****
* Line 6 POD

****
* Qsampler/Linuxsampler

****
* mscore 0.80 –
they got it to compile with help from the dev

****
* Fantasia

****
* JackMidi

****
* LASH – just starting to talk about it

*

It appears to be an ongoing thread so I would expect more
information and topics to keep appearing.

*

I hope others find this useful.

*

Regards,