Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
teza

Default Dssi-Vst and Ubuntu Studio

Hi all, I was wondering about the fact that we can find somme free vst
plugins on the web, why the UbuntuStudio tean does not include dssi-vst
package in the Os as a standard.
Regards
Teza

Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Brian David

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:30 AM, teza <tsaliou75@orange.fr> wrote:

Hi all, I was wondering about the fact that we can find somme free vst

plugins on the web, why the UbuntuStudio tean does not include dssi-vst

package in the Os as a standard.

Regards

Teza

I don't have an answer for your specific question, Teza, but I am wondering: *are there actually a lot of people on this list using VSTs with Linux? *Because I was under the impression that this was very hard to do, and did not work well even in the best of cases.

--
-Brian David

Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
sandie

teza wrote:
> Hi all, I was wondering about the fact that we can find somme free vst
> plugins on the web, why the UbuntuStudio tean does not include dssi-vst
> package in the Os as a standard.
> Regards
> Teza

I found a .deb version somewhere on the web (sorry, but I don't remember
where), I placed it on my server if you are interested :
http://sandgreen.dk/stuff/dssi-vst.deb.tar.bz2

But yes... it would be cool to have default in UbuStu :-)

Brian David wrote:

> I don't have an answer for your specific question, Teza, but I am
> wondering: are there actually a lot of people on this list using VSTs
> with Linux? Because I was under the impression that this was very
> hard to do, and did not work well even in the best of cases.
> --
> -Brian David

I use them a lot.
ZynAddSubFx and Bristol are both on my favorite list of
synths/v-inst/fx, but unfortunaly the list is kind'a small if you
exclude Win-VST.

I havent had any serious problems using them with dssi-vst, but I havent
tested extensively and only one at a time, like "XLN addictive drums"
for when I practice my e-drums or "VoxengoBoogex" for guitar.
I have removed Pulse, but other than that, I just run them with "vsthost
/_path_to_/vsti.dll" and most of them work, If I'm composing/editing I
just load them in my host (XT2) but I like the idea of just clicking on
the "drums" icon on my desktop and play without having to start my host
and load/setup the instrument first.

Sandie

Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Brian David wrote:
> I don't have an answer for your specific question, Teza, but I am
> wondering: are there actually a lot of people on this list using VSTs
> with Linux? Because I was under the impression that this was very hard
> to do, and did not work well even in the best of cases.
> --
> -Brian David

I'm only one person, but I use a few VSTs a lot, all commercial -- I
couldn't easily have the proggy fun I want without them: M-Tron Pro,
Virtual String Machine, Oddity, B4II, Elektrik Piano, things like that.

Where possible I run them in standalone mode under Wine, where not
(Oddity, I've never got the hang of the preset system so use VST host
banks and patches) I run them in the cost-free Cantabile Lite VST host
run using Wine. Naturally, I'm using Wine-asio for both scenarios.

I've never had any problems running these plugins; obviously they crash
on rare occasions, or get booted off Jack every now and again, but all
the functionality er, functions.

Since Wine-asio came along, I stopped bothering with DSSI-VST or FST.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
teza

Hi brian it is not hard to use vst, even live I've done it during the
Ubuntu Party in Paris last week. When you have compil ddsi-vst,run jack,
open a terminal, vsthost and your vst, that will connect straight away
in jack.
Regards
Teza

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::

Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Gerhard Lang

teza schrieb:
> Hi all, I was wondering about the fact that we can find somme free vst
> plugins on the web, why the UbuntuStudio tean does not include dssi-vst
> package in the Os as a standard.
> Regards
> Teza

My first attempts compiling dssi-vsti had not been really successful.
The vst integration into lmms had only very basal functions and no
working user interfaces. So I gave up and up to now I run the vst-hosts
as well as my commercial korg and a lot of free plugins in wine. I
connect and combine them over wineasio in jack with genuine linux
applications i.e. ardour, hydrogen, linuxsampler, rackarrack, zynadd....
My favorite "vsti-hosts" are reaper - I abuse it just for this - and a
windows freeware named vsthost by herman seib
http://www.hermannseib.com/vsthost.htm Those settings run tolerably even
for live performance, but maybe I should give dssi-vst a try again. Does
dssi-vst give you full access to vsti's midi controls, menues, presets
and guis? Is dssi-vst ready for this? Has Steinberg made it's Asio stuff
opensource? Or is there a way to run these dlls without using
proprietary code?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
teza

Hi, when you run dssi-vst, actually vsthost in a terminal, you've got
full access to the pluging even the the gui if the plugin got one, for
exemple I can run "Amplitube" with vsthost. for the compil there's no
troubles at all under Hardy, but there's a bug with Karmic, which can be
fix like this

http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Wine_Wrappers&structure=Wine%20et%2 0les%20VST
Regards
Teza

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
teza

Hi, Sandie thanks a lot the .deb for dssi-vst, just installed it on
Karmic without any troubles. Yes I agree it should be part of Ubuntu
studio. I had a talk with a friend about making a gui for dssi-vst to
run vst, I think it would be handy.
Regards
Teza

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////:

Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
sandie

teza wrote:
> Hi, Sandie thanks a lot the .deb for dssi-vst, just installed it on
> Karmic without any troubles. Yes I agree it should be part of Ubuntu
> studio. I had a talk with a friend about making a gui for dssi-vst to
> run vst, I think it would be handy.
> Regards
> Teza

Cool idea... I'm always looking for small projects to fiddle with in Python.

I wich I had more expirience programming thou, cause I would love to
understand how LMMS's Vestige module works, but as it is painfully
obviuos from the small projects on my site, I'm affraid it's a little
out of my league :-)
But a Python-frontend to dssi-vst should be fairly simple to make, and
I'll have a go at it this weekend, and would ofcourse love to have a
peek at what your friend comes up with.

Sandie

Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Sergio Bello

I think the problem with vst integration in US (and all other
Linux-based distributions) is reconducible to license issues. You cannot
use Steimberg vst api without signing a specific agreement, which is
unsuitable for US licensing model.

They state:
"Please note that there are licensing agreements coupled with the use of
development tools which you have to agree. These agreements contain
conditions and/or requirements which are mostly concerned with liability
issues."

More info here:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/3rd_party_developer.html

Sergio