Old 12-09-2009, 02:26 PM
sandie

Default Dssi-Vst and Ubuntu Studio

Sergio Bello wrote:
> I think the problem with vst integration in US (and all other
> Linux-based distributions) is reconducible to license issues. You cannot
> use Steimberg vst api without signing a specific agreement, which is
> unsuitable for US licensing model.

But what about LMMS and their VsTIge ?
It's in the Ubuntu repositorie.

Sandie

Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Sergio Bello

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 16:26 +0100, sandie wrote:
> Sergio Bello wrote:
> > I think the problem with vst integration in US (and all other
> > Linux-based distributions) is reconducible to license issues. You cannot
> > use Steimberg vst api without signing a specific agreement, which is
> > unsuitable for US licensing model.
> >

> But what about LMMS and their VsTIge ?
> It's in the Ubuntu repositorie.

I don't know about lmms VsTIge, but probably it's a reimplementation
from scratch of the Steimberg api, something like Linux reimplementation
of posix api...

Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM

> I don't know about lmms VsTIge, but probably it's a reimplementation
> from scratch of the Steimberg api, something like Linux reimplementation
> of posix api...

Yes, it's an inverse engineering of VST SDK.
It seems to be just header files.

Olivier

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
sandie

Sergio Bello wrote:
> I don't know about lmms VsTIge, but probably it's a reimplementation
> from scratch of the Steimberg api, something like Linux reimplementation
> of posix api...

So this is legal ?
If it is... then why don't "we" make a native linux VST for things like
Ardour, and by "we" I mean someone else than me, preferable one who
actualy know what he/she is doing ;-)

Sandie

Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Sergio Bello

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:17 +0100, sandie wrote:
> Sergio Bello wrote:
> > I don't know about lmms VsTIge, but probably it's a reimplementation
> > from scratch of the Steimberg api, something like Linux reimplementation
> > of posix api...
> >

> So this is legal ?
Interfaces are not subject to the same rules of implementations (iirc),
just like you can't 'copyright' a II-V-I chord progression, whereas you
can do it for a melody.

> If it is... then why don't "we" make a native linux VST for things like
> Ardour, and by "we" I mean someone else than me, preferable one who
> actualy know what he/she is doing ;-)
Actually, this could be a hard job to do...
If I had the time, I would help to grow a native framework, and
eventually port available free vst plugins.
But it's just my opinion...

Sergio

Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Tommy yeah

If I understand correctly, you cannot ship/distribute with vst functionality as the person who has the site/server could be liable but you can distribute source and debs and let people build or install it after the fact without issue.

tommy

Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Eric Hedekar

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:17 AM, sandie <sandie@sandgreen.dk> wrote:

Sergio Bello wrote:

> I don't know about lmms VsTIge, but probably it's a reimplementation

> from scratch of the Steimberg api, something like Linux reimplementation

> of posix api...

So this is legal ?

If it is... then why don't "we" make a native linux VST for things like

Ardour, and by "we" I mean someone else than me, preferable one who

actualy know what he/she is doing ;-)

Sandie

Well, yes vestiege is legal - but I'm no lawyer and I'm sure it depends on what country you're in and how much you pay the lawyer who argues your case.

As for why "we" don't make a native linux VST for things like Ardour?* There exists the Vestiege headers for VST support in Ardour, and Ardour also has LV2 support (sort of LADSPA catching up to VST's features) so, in my opinion, it's a question of why duplicate that which already exists.* Ardour will be compiled with LV2 support for the upcoming Lucid Lynx release, but no plans have been made to get it compiled with Vestiege headers, yet.

DSSI-VST, FST, JOST, and other similar technologies all relied on the compiler going to the Steinberg website, signing up for a VST developer account that includes an agreement not to redistribute the headers, downloading the headers, then compiling.* This does not work for distributions - VST (similar to other closed-sourced software) is faulty technology.

I am really excited for the inclusion of the LV2 libraries in Lucid Lynx.* Let the LV2 plugin excitement/growth/development BEGIN!!!!

-Eric Hedekar

Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Brian David

Sergio Bello wrote:

> I don't know about lmms VsTIge, but probably it's a reimplementation

> from scratch of the Steimberg api, something like Linux reimplementation

> of posix api...

So this is legal ?

If it is... then why don't "we" make a native linux VST for things like

Ardour, and by "we" I mean someone else than me, preferable one who

actualy know what he/she is doing ;-)

Sandie

Well, yes vestiege is legal - but I'm no lawyer and I'm sure it depends on what country you're in and how much you pay the lawyer who argues your case.

As for why "we" don't make a native linux VST for things like Ardour?* There exists the Vestiege headers for VST support in Ardour, and Ardour also has LV2 support (sort of LADSPA catching up to VST's features) so, in my opinion, it's a question of why duplicate that which already exists.* Ardour will be compiled with LV2 support for the upcoming Lucid Lynx release, but no plans have been made to get it compiled with Vestiege headers, yet.

DSSI-VST, FST, JOST, and other similar technologies all relied on the compiler going to the Steinberg website, signing up for a VST developer account that includes an agreement not to redistribute the headers, downloading the headers, then compiling.* This does not work for distributions - VST (similar to other closed-sourced software) is faulty technology.

I am really excited for the inclusion of the LV2 libraries in Lucid Lynx.* Let the LV2 plugin excitement/growth/development BEGIN!!!!

-Eric Hedekar

I'm with Eric here.* I know change can be hard, especially if you've found a lot of VSTs you like, but if you really want to see FOSS audio take 0ff, then you should let the VSTs go and support LV2.* Take a look at LinuxDSP's (http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk/) site for a couple of awesome LV2 plug-ins. Also, Invada (http://www.invadarecords.com/Downloads.php?ID=00000264) has a suite of pretty cool LV2 plug-ins.* There are also LV2 versions of some of the CALF plug-ins that often come with Ardour, and the interfaces are awesome.* It's a bright future for LV2, check it out!

--
-Brian David

Old 12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
sandie

First of all, sorry to teza if I'm hijacking this thread, but it's a
very sensitive subject for me :-)

I had a look at LV2, very nice indeed, but... My problem is not lack of
LinuxDSP's/VST-FX, but VST-instruments.
I know of Mda and other very cool projects, but haven't seen a virtual
drumkit that comes close to one of the existing VSTi ones (like XLN).

Maybe once Ardour reaches 3.0 (and have a midi editor), we will finaly
see some "pro" drum synths for Linux that doesn't rely on ancient
proprietary stuff. Until then I'll try to put together a frontend for
dssi-vst like teza suggested, if anyone have ideas I'd be happy to hear
them.

So far I have :
A program that can launch multiple VSTi from a predefined directory.
Posibility of viewing terminal output of each VSTi.
Killing non-responsive plugins with a click of a button.

What I'm working on :
A way to save sessions, something like lash but a bit more pretty (I
like pretty things :-) )

Any Ideas ?

Sandie

Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Sean Corbett

> A way to save sessions, something like lash but a bit more pretty (I
> like pretty things :-) )
>
> Any Ideas ?
>
> Sandie

It's in the works: Check out Ladish (ladish.org). I'm sure Nedko
would enjoy some constructive criticism if anyone feels adventurous
enough to build the git version. (I just did tonight.. I would call
it a very early-alpha, but there's potential there

Sean