Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Iain Duncan

Default disabling pulse audio in 9.10?

Hey folks, wondering if anyone knows what would be different for disabling pulseaudio for 9.10. I've managed to get it so it doesn't restart, following these:

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/ubuntu-904-jaunty-keeping-the-beast-pulseaudio-at-bay/

But it's still running on startup even though I removed all the runlevels using sysv-rc-conf

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or the above are just out of date, any help appreciated. I'd like it be a strictly jack on alsa setup.

Thanks!
Iain

Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
sandie

Iain Duncan wrote:
> Hey folks, wondering if anyone knows what would be different for
> disabling pulseaudio for 9.10. I've managed to get it so it doesn't
> restart, following these:
>
> http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/ubuntu-904-jaunty-keeping-the-beast-pulseaudio-at-bay/
>
> But it's still running on startup even though I removed all the
> runlevels using sysv-rc-conf
>
> Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or the above are just out of
> date, any help appreciated. I'd like it be a strictly jack on alsa setup.
>
> Thanks!
> Iain
I use this : http://www.sandgreen.dk/index.php?side=python_uat to remove
Pulse completely. It's a work in progress but it works for me (YMMV).

If you have any problems, please let me know so I can improve it.

Sandie

Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Oleg Ivanenko

Hi, Iain!

My setup

1. Switch off /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/plugins/sound/active in gconf-editor

2. Switch off Gnome sounding at all in gnome-volume-control(I believe so)

3. Create file ~/.pulse/client.conf consists of
autospawn=no

4. killall -KILL pulseaudio

5. start jackd with qjackctl

Alternative way: install xubuntu over ubuntustudio and use xfce
instead Gnome ))

2009/12/8 Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com>:
> Hey folks, wondering if anyone knows what would be different for disabling
> pulseaudio for 9.10. I've managed to get it so it doesn't restart, following
> these:
>
> http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/ubuntu-904-jaunty-keeping-the-beast-pulseaudio-at-bay/
>
> But it's still running on startup even though I removed all the runlevels
> using sysv-rc-conf
>
> Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or the above are just out of date, any
> help appreciated. I'd like it be a strictly jack on alsa setup.
>
> Thanks!
> Iain

Truly yours, Oleg Ivanenko aka Ash
[if it wasn't so sad, it would be funny]

Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Iain Duncan

Thanks, I was going to switch to xfce actually, thought I'll keep gnome on there too for ohter purposes. Does the pulse daemon just plain not get used by xfce?
thanksIain

Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Oleg Ivanenko

Hi, Iain!

I tried both way simultaneously, so can't affirm for certain, but,
yes, I believe that xfce is not using pulseadio. May be somebody
correct me.