Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Karlheinz Noise

Default Plugin GUI's and Ubu love

> Just a quick note, Karlheinz. There IS a Linux standard for plug-in GUIs.> It is called LV2 (http://lv2plug.in/) It is fairly new, but seems to be> promising. I've used some LV2 plug-ins, and they're pretty cool.
This is good news. I heard some vague rumblings about this a while ago, but I didn't know it was actually happening.
Hopefully a lot of software will implement it soon. If I actually get good at C++, maybe I'll even try my hand at porting a few "open-source" VST's.
There was this guy named Richard Brooks, who created a bunch of knob and slider images (for a Win program called SynthEdit, which I still use). His site's gone now, but I still have those images somewhere. Maybe I can convince him to make them CC, if I can find him...
Speaking of Windows programs, there's a feature I use in WaveLab that I haven't been able to find in any FOSS software. That program has something called a "master section," which is basically just a bunch of slots for plugins. They all effect the sound in real-time, and when you've tweaked them to your liking, you hit a button called "Render" and it processes the active wave files in non-real-time.
I know about stuff like JackRack, but AFAIK you can't render to a wave file except in real time. Also, using Audacity, you can only render one effect at a time, and you can't listen to it in real time (e.g. to edit the file with the effects on). Anyone know of a tool that does this? It makes mastering a lot easier.
> I kind of hope the 'nick' sticks: "UbuStu" (perhaps it has been> used before, but this is the first time I have noticed it(?).
I'm not the one who came up with it, but I don't remember who did. I like the Pere Ubu connotations.
And, thanks for the kind words.
I'm deliberately avoiding writing about the whole Linux usability stance. I think by now I've made whatever point I could make.
-Karlheinz_______________________http://www.khznoise.com
Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Ricardo Lameiro

"""""Speaking of Windows programs, there's a feature I use in WaveLab
that I haven't been able to find in any FOSS software. That program has
something called a "master section," which is basically just a bunch of
slots for plugins. They all effect the sound in real-time, and when
you've tweaked them to your liking, you hit a button called "Render"
and it processes the active wave files in non-real-time.
know about stuff like JackRack, but AFAIK you can't render to a wave
file except in real time. Also, using Audacity, you can only render one
effect at a time, and you can't listen to it in real time (e.g. to edit
the file with the effects on). Anyone know of a tool that does this? It
makes mastering a lot easier."""""""

You could use Ardour for this. or for real master job use JAMin

2009/12/8 Karlheinz Noise <khzmusik@hotmail.com>

> Just a quick note, Karlheinz. There IS a Linux standard for plug-in GUIs.> It is called LV2 (http://lv2plug.in/) It is fairly new, but seems to be
> promising. I've used some LV2 plug-ins, and they're pretty cool.
This is good news. I heard some vague rumblings about this a while ago, but I didn't know it was actually happening.

Hopefully a lot of software will implement it soon. If I actually get good at C++, maybe I'll even try my hand at porting a few "open-source" VST's.
There was this guy named Richard Brooks, who created a bunch of knob and slider images (for a Win program called SynthEdit, which I still use). His site's gone now, but I still have those images somewhere. Maybe I can convince him to make them CC, if I can find him...

Speaking of Windows programs, there's a feature I use in WaveLab that I haven't been able to find in any FOSS software. That program has something called a "master section," which is basically just a bunch of slots for plugins. They all effect the sound in real-time, and when you've tweaked them to your liking, you hit a button called "Render" and it processes the active wave files in non-real-time.

I know about stuff like JackRack, but AFAIK you can't render to a wave file except in real time. Also, using Audacity, you can only render one effect at a time, and you can't listen to it in real time (e.g. to edit the file with the effects on). Anyone know of a tool that does this? It makes mastering a lot easier.

> I kind of hope the 'nick' sticks: "UbuStu" (perhaps it has been> used before, but this is the first time I have noticed it(?).
I'm not the one who came up with it, but I don't remember who did. I like the Pere Ubu connotations.

And, thanks for the kind words.
I'm deliberately avoiding writing about the whole Linux usability stance. I think by now I've made whatever point I could make.

-Karlheinz_______________________http://www.khznoise.com
Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro

Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Brian David

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Ricardo Lameiro <ricardolameiro@gmail.com> wrote:

"""""Speaking of Windows programs, there's a feature I use in WaveLab
that I haven't been able to find in any FOSS software. That program has
something called a "master section," which is basically just a bunch of
slots for plugins. They all effect the sound in real-time, and when
you've tweaked them to your liking, you hit a button called "Render"
and it processes the active wave files in non-real-time.
know about stuff like JackRack, but AFAIK you can't render to a wave
file except in real time. Also, using Audacity, you can only render one
effect at a time, and you can't listen to it in real time (e.g. to edit
the file with the effects on). Anyone know of a tool that does this? It
makes mastering a lot easier."""""""

You could use Ardour for this. or for real master job use JAMin

Check out this guide at the 64 Studio site: http://www.64studio.com/node/823

That will show you how to use JACK to connect Ardour and JAMin in a manner that sounds like what you want to do.* It lets you both effect the sound in real-time and export a file mix into .wav format in non-real time.

--
-Brian David

Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Hartmut Noack