Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Mac McIlvaine

Default waiting for professional grade

At Friday, 4 December 2009, you wrote:

>There is only one thing I do not understand.why are people wanting
PROFESSIONALY graded software, If they dont want to learn and how
to use it????IF it is PRO, IT IS OBVIOUS that it will have a lot
of function. I think people ask to much... OR it is simple or it
is pro.
<snip>
>2009/12/4 Brian King <baking666@gmail.com>

I think a lot of frustration comes from the whole experience rather
than a particular software application.

By that I mean, learning to use the functionality of, say, Ardour,
is different from needing to learn how to build the kernel in order
to get to point where one can begin to learn Ardour. (Imagine if
everyone had to learn how to culture yeast before they could enjoy
a good beer...)

In truth, free software does, indeed, have a price...you need to
learn a bit of computer geekness. ;-)

Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Ricardo Lameiro

I can understand the frustration on the "all" experience, but we should remember, that to running an RT kernel you don't need to to compile yourself, the kernel shiped on the 9.10 is way better than usual (apart the 8.04 the real deal ). Most of the problems people first get are the priorities configurations. An that can be a little confusing at the beginning, but will also give the user a knowledge that will be usefull on the pro audio work.

The aspect, most of the people complain, is the command line interface (CLI). This is a false question, because the productivity is incriesed when using the CLI. Its a powerfull tool for configuration, debbuging, install etc. faster than the graphic paradigm. Remeber productivity is about the time spend to do a task. and believ-me for most of this task the CLI is FASTER. the learning curve is not so hard as people think.

IMHO the BIG problem comes when the users think that a GUI is always better than CLI. Some users think that CLI is very outdated etc... well about that i just tell this:
Count the time you take running the menus to start, for example firefox, and the time takes you to type in the CLI firefox.... than you have an idea....

*

2009/12/4 Mac McIlvaine <suemac@empire.net>

At Friday, 4 December 2009, you wrote:

>There is only one thing I do not understand.why are people wanting

PROFESSIONALY graded software, If they dont want to learn and how

to use it????IF it is PRO, IT IS OBVIOUS that it will have a lot

of function. I think people ask to much... OR it is simple or it

is pro.

<snip>

>2009/12/4 Brian King <baking666@gmail.com>

I think a lot of frustration comes from the whole experience rather

than a particular software application.

By that I mean, learning to use the functionality of, say, Ardour,

is different from needing to learn how to build the kernel in order

to get to point where one can begin to learn Ardour. (Imagine if

everyone had to learn how to culture yeast before they could enjoy

a good beer...)

In truth, free software does, indeed, have a price...you need to

learn a bit of computer geekness. ;-)

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro

Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Lindsay Haisley

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 17:00 +0000, Ricardo Lameiro wrote:
> IMHO the BIG problem comes when the users think that a GUI is always
> better than CLI. Some users think that CLI is very outdated etc...

The CLI is by no means outdated, but of all the classes of tasks one can
do on any computer, the CLI is probably _least_ suited to audio and
multimedia work. The industry standards for professional recording and
editing UIs are graphical. Linux isn't the industry leader, regardless
of the quality of the Linux CLI and GUI software available.

The CLI really comes into its own for system administration work, which
is another thing altogether.

> well about that i just tell this:
> Count the time you take running the menus to start, for example
> firefox, and the time takes you to type in the CLI firefox.... than
> you have an idea....

A proper GUI, including Gnome or KDE, lets me put an icon for Firefox on
my desktop or toolbar (a one-time operation) which I can click once to
bring up firefox - faster than typing it in.

--
Lindsay Haisley |"Fighting against human | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at