Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default Hello, this is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce Linux as Linux!

I'm going to have a presentation about Ubuntu Studio. I like to include
some kind of 'music' in that presentation - in very 60' way. You know
these masterpieces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Meat

My idea is - you in your own native language, not in english - do
exactly this. You say:

"Hello, this is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce Linux as Linux!"

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

Here is mine in finnish:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Ubuntu_Studio/Linux_finnish.ogg

I made this one in very simple way, just gnome-sound-recorder and usb
microphone.

When you are done, send it to me: asmo.koskinen@arkki.info

Name that file "Linux_language.ogg" - yes - use ogg.

I just want to show how rich our community is - people are from all
around the world! Thank you for sharing ;-)

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:

> My idea is - you in your own native language, not in english - do
> exactly this. You say:
>
> "Hello, this is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce Linux as Linux!"
>
> Here is mine in finnish:
>
> http://www.arkki.info/howto/Ubuntu_Studio/Linux_finnish.ogg

And one more thing - use your name here, of course - you are not Linus ;-)

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Robert Klaar

Why?... as opposed to Gnu/Linux? :/
//paco

Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Robert Klaar kirjoitti:

> Why?... as opposed to Gnu/Linux? :/
> //paco

Well, we all know very well that Linus and Richard hardly can be in same
room in same time - but that was in my mind.

You are of course free to say GNU/Linux if you like to participate in
this little funny project.

Peace and Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:

> Robert Klaar kirjoitti:
>
>> Why?... as opposed to Gnu/Linux? :/
>> //paco
>
> Well, we all know very well that Linus and Richard hardly can be in same
> room in same time - but that was in my mind.

Äh - should be: ...but that was NOT in my mind

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Robert Klaar kirjoitti:
> Why?... as opposed to Gnu/Linux? :/

Maybe this is not funny project anymore, it is turned to political one...

So just ignore my request...

"Move on, nothing to see here..."

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Robert Klaar

Haha, meant no such thing ^^', I'll see if I can post one myself later...

Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
"Farrell J. McGovern"

Robert Klaar wrote:
> Why?... as opposed to Gnu/Linux? :/
Hi. My name is Farrell McGovern, and I am willing to bet that I have
been using Linux longer than almost anyone here. I started with kernel
version 0.12 back in 1992 or so...and thus probably predate you....

The reason why this recording was done was because there was a debate in
the Usenet Newsgroups on how to pronounce the name "Linux". So, Linus,
in his youthful wisdom recorded himself, both in English and Finnish,
with the correct pronunciation of "Linux", and, inadvertently but
fortuitously, his name. I believe that the Google Usenet archive has
the discussion, if you want to look it up.

ttyl
Farrell

--
"No Budget survives contact with Reality"