Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Daniel

Default Sage advise needed! Ubuntu Studio 9.10 & error 15 (in grub?)

Hi Henry,

Ok, to start out with, after a "clean" install by dvd (I erased all data
on my ext3 partition), I will, for now, only ask if someone can please
tell me what *'error 15'* means, when loading Ubuntu Studio 9.10 (in
'Grub,' the computer hangs & will not allow me to chose between UBS
9.10 or Windows XP! I had to go back to loading Ubuntu 8.01, on a live
cd that I fortunately still had around, to get rid of that problem).

Error 15 usually means Grub can't find the boot partition. It sounds
like Grub is not loading at all, which probably means you need to
reinstall grub from a live cd:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD

Daniel

Willing to try again...

Thanks,
Henry

Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM
"Henry W. Peters"

Daniel wrote:
> Hi Henry,
>
>> Ok, to start out with, after a "clean" install by dvd (I erased all data
>> on my ext3 partition), I will, for now, only ask if someone can please
>> tell me what *'error 15'* means, when loading Ubuntu Studio 9.10 (in
>> 'Grub,' the computer hangs & will not allow me to chose between UBS
>> 9.10 or Windows XP! I had to go back to loading Ubuntu 8.01, on a live
>> cd that I fortunately still had around, to get rid of that problem).
>>

> Error 15 usually means Grub can't find the boot partition. It sounds
> like Grub is not loading at all, which probably means you need to
> reinstall grub from a live cd:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD
>
> Daniel
>
>> Willing to try again...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Henry

Hey, thanks much Daniel... that site was very informative...

However, it appears to me, the Ubuntu Studio, v. 9.10 is *not* a 'live
cd," (& in fact, is, because of size (1.4 gb, a DVD), so not sure if
this is possible with the UBS DVD (?). The site that you linked,
indicated there may be a way to access to reinstall via a rudimentary
terminal, during attempted booting... what I am wondering, now though,
is there something I can do to insure the correct boot partition DURING
THE INSTALL, in the first place, when I "try again?" I.e., it appears
that 'Grub 2' has a different way of counting the disks/partitions...
perhaps I did something wrong in my choice of where to boot from? & as
another note, I had some problem figuring out the way to select options,
seemed different, some how, from previous Ubuntu installers...

Some insight into one other issue or question which could conceivably be
helpful before an install; ext3 versus ext4 (I have gleaned from
http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4 that possible improved performance &
storage space may be there (in ext4 formatting), I think I remembered,
from not too long ago on this list (?) someone commenting rather
negatively, their experience with ext4...

Regards,
Henry