FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
"Darrin Goodman"
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

As a bluegrass musician, most all of the music that I am recording is
acoustic. Sometimes I might have a simple microphone plugged into the
sound card on my laptop, and other times I might be using high quality
condenser microphones which are powered by my mixer (the mixer would
then feed to my sound card).

My needs for audio recording are fairly simple and can be broken into
two categories: (1) I might be recording the band in a live setting
and will use the mixer as my input, and will record a single track
while playing live. (2) I would also like to have the ability to
record multiple tracks (private recording scenario, not a live
performance). For instance, if I am making music by myself, I would
like to record the mandolin, then record the banjo, then record the
guitar, vocals, etc..., and then be able to mix the tracks so that it
sounds like a full band is playing. At most, I would probably only
have 6 or 7 tracks (bass, banjo, mandolin, guitar, fiddle, vocals).

What I would like to know are these two things:
- is Ardour really all that better (over Audacity) when it comes to
this sort of multi-tracking, or is there another tool that I should
look at?
- is Ardour better for just recording a single live track with a full
band (or would Audacity be a better tool for this use)? So far, I've
had good results with Audacity when recording a single live track, but
have not had that great of results with trying to mix multiple tracks.

I have looked at Rosegarden and some other tools, but it seems (and
please correct me if I am wrong) that many of the other tools are for
recording midi devices. Jokosher also looks interesting as an audio
recording tool, but I'm not sure if it's there yet. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your input.

- Darrin

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM
"William F. Dudley Jr."
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

I use timemachine live recording, any number of channels from 2 to 8.

It has only one control -- record on/off. This makes it fool proof, which
is important to me when I'm recording a live show. I found snd
too complicated, and Ardour waaay too complicated for live recording.
Perhaps I'm an idiot, but timemachine does all I need.

Then, later, I use Audacity to mix the multitrack recording I've created
with timemachine down to a stereo mix.

Bill Dudley

On 1/3/08, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a bluegrass musician, most all of the music that I am recording is
> acoustic. Sometimes I might have a simple microphone plugged into the
> sound card on my laptop, and other times I might be using high quality
> condenser microphones which are powered by my mixer (the mixer would
> then feed to my sound card).
>
> My needs for audio recording are fairly simple and can be broken into
> two categories: (1) I might be recording the band in a live setting
> and will use the mixer as my input, and will record a single track
> while playing live. (2) I would also like to have the ability to
> record multiple tracks (private recording scenario, not a live
> performance). For instance, if I am making music by myself, I would
> like to record the mandolin, then record the banjo, then record the
> guitar, vocals, etc..., and then be able to mix the tracks so that it
> sounds like a full band is playing. At most, I would probably only
> have 6 or 7 tracks (bass, banjo, mandolin, guitar, fiddle, vocals).
>
> What I would like to know are these two things:
> - is Ardour really all that better (over Audacity) when it comes to
> this sort of multi-tracking, or is there another tool that I should
> look at?
> - is Ardour better for just recording a single live track with a full
> band (or would Audacity be a better tool for this use)? So far, I've
> had good results with Audacity when recording a single live track, but
> have not had that great of results with trying to mix multiple tracks.
>
> I have looked at Rosegarden and some other tools, but it seems (and
> please correct me if I am wrong) that many of the other tools are for
> recording midi devices. Jokosher also looks interesting as an audio
> recording tool, but I'm not sure if it's there yet. Any thoughts?
>
> Thank you for your input.
>
> - Darrin
>
> --
> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
>

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Darrin Goodman wrote:
> What I would like to know are these two things:
> - is Ardour really all that better (over Audacity) when it comes to
> this sort of multi-tracking, or is there another tool that I should
> look at?

I've used all three, and I really prefer Rosegarden for the middle ground it
occupies here. More power and JACKiness than Audacity, but not so much power
and JACKiness as Ardour.

I work at Rosegarden, of course, so everything I say about the application is
definitely biased. Even so, it's a valid enough opinion. I could have wound
up working somewhere else, and I put my eggs in this basket for good reason.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 AM
thomas fisher
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

> On 1/3/08, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As a bluegrass musician, most all of the music that I am recording is
> > acoustic. Sometimes I might have a simple microphone plugged into the
> > sound card on my laptop, and other times I might be using high quality
> > condenser microphones which are powered by my mixer (the mixer would
> > then feed to my sound card).
> >
> > My needs for audio recording are fairly simple and can be broken into
> > two categories: (1) I might be recording the band in a live setting
> > and will use the mixer as my input, and will record a single track
> > while playing live. (2) I would also like to have the ability to
> > record multiple tracks (private recording scenario, not a live
> > performance). For instance, if I am making music by myself, I would
> > like to record the mandolin, then record the banjo, then record the
> > guitar, vocals, etc..., and then be able to mix the tracks so that it
> > sounds like a full band is playing. At most, I would probably only
> > have 6 or 7 tracks (bass, banjo, mandolin, guitar, fiddle, vocals).
> >
> > What I would like to know are these two things:
> > - is Ardour really all that better (over Audacity) when it comes to
> > this sort of multi-tracking, or is there another tool that I should
> > look at?
> > - is Ardour better for just recording a single live track with a full
> > band (or would Audacity be a better tool for this use)? So far, I've
> > had good results with Audacity when recording a single live track, but
> > have not had that great of results with trying to mix multiple tracks.
> >
> > I have looked at Rosegarden and some other tools, but it seems (and
> > please correct me if I am wrong) that many of the other tools are for
> > recording midi devices. Jokosher also looks interesting as an audio
> > recording tool, but I'm not sure if it's there yet. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Thank you for your input.
> >
> > - Darrin
Darrin it seems there are many on this list who cannot get Audacity to
cooperate with Jack. For that reason you may want to check out ReZound which
is Jack smart. This relatively brief article by Dave Phillipswill answer
about the significance of "Jack" and Linux audio.
http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/67/JACK_Audio_Server.pdf

Hope that helps
Tom




--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 AM
Mark Stuart Burge
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

I would definitely recommend ardour if you want to record multi track
and have any level of control.
Audacity is great for single track recording and chopping the results
up, filtering etc and then exporting, but when it comes to recording
multiple parts, lining them up, mixing down, automating fades, pan and
inserts then ardour makes it all easy.

The learning curve is not that huge if that is all you need to do. It
just takes a little getting used to.

Ardour I think is heading in the direction of midi compatibility also,
which will be great if they do get there, as it will save having to
learn yet another application just for the the times when you need to
use synths etc.

Also, ardour is likely to be around for a long time, so it is worth
your investment (in time and effort as well as hopefully financially to
support the developers)




--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
"Christopher Stamper"
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

Ardour is definitely the best. Rosegarden is for notation and MIDI, NOT audio. So it won't help at all. (unless you wanted to record MIDI and not audio).

Audacity is more for the beginners, who don't really care about multiple tracks, quality or control. It may have a couple nice features, but overall, it is not the best.


Just spend a few hours playing around with Ardour, it's really not that hard to use once you understand it. And it is well worth the effort!

On Jan 4, 2008 12:27 AM, Mark Stuart Burge <
mark@msbrepairs.com> wrote:
I would definitely recommend ardour if you want to record multi track

and have any level of control.
Audacity is great for single track recording and chopping the results
up, filtering etc and then exporting, but when it comes to recording
multiple parts, lining them up, mixing down, automating fades, pan and

inserts then ardour makes it all easy.

The learning curve is not that huge if that is all you need to do. It
just takes a little getting used to.

Ardour I think is heading in the direction of midi compatibility also,

which will be great if they do get there, as it will save having to
learn yet another application just for the the times when you need to
use synths etc.

Also, *ardour is likely to be around for a long time, so it is worth

your investment (in time and effort as well as hopefully financially to
support the developers)




--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users



--
Christopher Stamper
christopherstamper@gmail.com
http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
"Darrin Goodman"
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

Nice! Thank you all for your input. It's evident to me that I just
need to spend some time learning to use Ardour. It sounds like a
great tool for multi-track recording.

Thanks!

- Darrin


On Jan 4, 2008 7:28 AM, Christopher Stamper
<christopherstamper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ardour is definitely the best. Rosegarden is for notation and MIDI, NOT
> audio. So it won't help at all. (unless you wanted to record MIDI and not
> audio).
>
> Audacity is more for the beginners, who don't really care about multiple
> tracks, quality or control. It may have a couple nice features, but overall,
> it is not the best.
>
> Just spend a few hours playing around with Ardour, it's really not that hard
> to use once you understand it. And it is well worth the effort!
>
>
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 12:27 AM, Mark Stuart Burge < mark@msbrepairs.com> wrote:
> > I would definitely recommend ardour if you want to record multi track
> > and have any level of control.
> > Audacity is great for single track recording and chopping the results
> > up, filtering etc and then exporting, but when it comes to recording
> > multiple parts, lining them up, mixing down, automating fades, pan and
> > inserts then ardour makes it all easy.
> >
> > The learning curve is not that huge if that is all you need to do. It
> > just takes a little getting used to.
> >
> > Ardour I think is heading in the direction of midi compatibility also,
> > which will be great if they do get there, as it will save having to
> > learn yet another application just for the the times when you need to
> > use synths etc.
> >
> > Also, ardour is likely to be around for a long time, so it is worth
> > your investment (in time and effort as well as hopefully financially to
> > support the developers)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> > Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Christopher Stamper
> christopherstamper@gmail.com
> http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg
> --
> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
>
>



--
. __o
._ <,
(*)/,(*)
----------------^----------^^-------------------------^---^--^^-^--------------------^^----------------

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Bharani Prasanth Sure
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

I really don't understand what makes ardour an inevitable option Except the automation a control and a few plugins Its all the same.Like I am a beginner too.So please donoit misunderstandme for testing your awareness...Where is the complexity..?


Best Regards,Bharani Prasanth Sure.

________________________________
> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:28:56 -0500
> From: christopherstamper@gmail.com
> To: mark@msbrepairs.com; ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Ardour vs. Audacity?
>
> Ardour is definitely the best. Rosegarden is for notation and MIDI, NOT audio. So it won't help at all. (unless you wanted to record MIDI and not audio).
>
> Audacity is more for the beginners, who don't really care about multiple tracks, quality or control. It may have a couple nice features, but overall, it is not the best.
>
> Just spend a few hours playing around with Ardour, it's really not that hard to use once you understand it. And it is well worth the effort!
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 12:27 AM, Mark Stuart Burge < mark@msbrepairs.com> wrote:
> I would definitely recommend ardour if you want to record multi track
> and have any level of control.
> Audacity is great for single track recording and chopping the results
> up, filtering etc and then exporting, but when it comes to recording
> multiple parts, lining them up, mixing down, automating fades, pan and
> inserts then ardour makes it all easy.
>
> The learning curve is not that huge if that is all you need to do. It
> just takes a little getting used to.
>
> Ardour I think is heading in the direction of midi compatibility also,
> which will be great if they do get there, as it will save having to
> learn yet another application just for the the times when you need to
> use synths etc.
>
> Also, ardour is likely to be around for a long time, so it is worth
> your investment (in time and effort as well as hopefully financially to
> support the developers)
>
>
>
>
> --
> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
>
>
>
> --
> Christopher Stamper
> christopherstamper@gmail.com
> http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

__________________________________________________ _______________
Post free property ads on Yello Classifieds now! www.yello.in
http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=221
--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 PM
"Christopher Stamper"
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

Maybe the same reason pro's use ProTools instead of MS SoundRecorder???!!!! :-)

I suggest using and getting to know both Ardour and Audacity. And if, when you're done, you still don't see why Ardour is better, then it probably won't matter to you anyway. Use whatever you like best.


On Jan 4, 2008 10:25 AM, Bharani Prasanth Sure <bharaniprasanth@hotmail.com> wrote:


I really don't understand what makes ardour an inevitable option *Except the automation a control and a few plugins Its all the same.Like I am a beginner too.So please donoit misunderstandme for testing your awareness...Where is the complexity..?



Best Regards,Bharani Prasanth Sure.

________________________________
> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:28:56 -0500
> From: christopherstamper@gmail.com

> To: mark@msbrepairs.com; ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Ardour vs. Audacity?

>
> Ardour is definitely the best. Rosegarden is for notation and MIDI, NOT audio. So it won't help at all. (unless you wanted to record MIDI and not audio).
>
> Audacity is more for the beginners, who don't really care about multiple tracks, quality or control. It may have a couple nice features, but overall, it is not the best.

>
> Just spend a few hours playing around with Ardour, it's really not that hard to use once you understand it. And it is well worth the effort!
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 12:27 AM, Mark Stuart Burge <
mark@msbrepairs.com> wrote:
> I would definitely recommend ardour if you want to record multi track
> and have any level of control.
> Audacity is great for single track recording and chopping the results

> up, filtering etc and then exporting, but when it comes to recording
> multiple parts, lining them up, mixing down, automating fades, pan and
> inserts then ardour makes it all easy.
>
> The learning curve is not that huge if that is all you need to do. It

> just takes a little getting used to.
>
> Ardour I think is heading in the direction of midi compatibility also,
> which will be great if they do get there, as it will save having to
> learn yet another application just for the the times when you need to

> use synths etc.
>
> Also, *ardour is likely to be around for a long time, so it is worth
> your investment (in time and effort as well as hopefully financially to
> support the developers)

>
>
>
>
> --
> Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
>
>
>
> --
> Christopher Stamper
>
christopherstamper@gmail.com
> http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

__________________________________________________ _______________

Post free property ads on Yello Classifieds now! www.yello.in
http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=221

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users


--
Christopher Stamper

christopherstamper@gmail.com
http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg
--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Hartmut Noack
 
Default Ardour vs. Audacity?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

thomas fisher schrieb:
>> On 1/3/08, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:
.
>>>
>>> What I would like to know are these two things:
>>> - is Ardour really all that better (over Audacity) when it comes to
>>> this sort of multi-tracking, or is there another tool that I should
>>> look at?

Ardour is better if more then one track is needed. The only alternative
I can see is Traverso, but this is in an early stage - it might become a
nice slim alternative by next xmas or so until then: Ardour is it!

>>> - is Ardour better for just recording a single live track with a full
>>> band (or would Audacity be a better tool for this use)?

I use to use Audacity for LP to CD jobs with good results so for just
the recording Audacity is very good. But if you start to arrange/mix
stuff or if you want to do overdubs again Ardour is No1...

>>> recording midi devices. Jokosher also looks interesting as an audio
>>> recording tool, but I'm not sure if it's there yet.

It is not and it does not look like this will change before long.
Jokosher has major flaws in its design (gstreamer instead of jack,
lacking important options etc) and I do not see any significant progress
/ activity on its website. If one wants something like Jokosher,
Audacity can do everything Jokosher is planned to do (but does not yet)
and more.


> Darrin it seems there are many on this list who cannot get Audacity to
> cooperate with Jack. For that reason you may want to check out ReZound which
> is Jack smart. This relatively brief article by Dave Phillipswill answer
> about the significance of "Jack" and Linux audio.
> http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/67/JACK_Audio_Server.pdf

I have Audacity connecting to jack quite OK (with no crackles or droputs
that is). But of course this portaudio-approach is far from being 21st
century ready so I would say: it barely works so far...

Rezound could do much much better and I look forward the day, Dave
Durham releases his QT-port of Rezound that he works on for some 2 years
now...
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFHflpV1Aecwva1SWMRAuIfAJ45r6QFxWiN80WhYyAcsX vKsX9wGwCfevcn
m+CDpXHjWDbtTJmaPTQ79Cs=
=5cwg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org