Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Gerhard Lang

Default laptops this holiday season

Tom Poe schrieb:
> Price of laptops is dropping. Need recommendations for laptop
> manufacturers that make best equipment for putting ubuntustudio on them.
> Tom

Aunt Google knows Databases for laptops/notebooks wich work well with
Linux. If they are known for running Linux without issues, the prognosis
is good for getting ubuntustudio run on them smoothly too. Hardware
should be widespread on market at least for 1-2 years, but not much
older. Not the bleeding edge if you want to get it running oootb, no
exotics, no unnecessary gimmicks. Intel-Atom CPUs work, but much more
satisfying for serious media-work are standard dual/quad cores >2GHz,
FSB >667. Intel, AMD or Nvidia chipset, at least 4G DDR2or3 RAM,
integrated HD-audio and Firewire. If mainly used for audio production
integrated Intel graphic chips will do the job. For a little more
advanced graphics, video work and gaming I'd recommend any widely used
Nvidia or Ati chip with 1/2G dedicated memory.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Susan Cragin

>> Price of laptops is dropping. Need recommendations for laptop
>> manufacturers that make best equipment for putting ubuntustudio on them.
>> Tom

I have an ASUS. No problems with the laptop per se, but I'd like to mention that I'm having trouble with my Echo Indigo IOX expresscard.

The Creative X-fi doesn't work bad, though.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus

Hi:
Well, I'm thinking about buy a Samsung NC20, it's a netbook, with a huge screen (for this kind of gadgets) of 12.1", and all the features you'll find in one. The slogan is: The favourites in Europe. I'm not sure and it isn't important to me.

But this model has not an Atom processor as the most of the netbooks around the world. It has an interesting Nano by VIA. But I don't find yet documentation about this processors running under Ubuntu, and for me will be grateful can install Ubuntu Studio in one, ¿could be this possible now?

Cheers:Aradnix
--
lutar e vencer!
lluitar i vèncer!